Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWAlifter said:
Speed,

While I certainly hope your right, I wonder if this was the same Chief Pilot that told us in 2002 that the EFB (electronic flight bag) was only 6 months away, oh and so were glass on -300s. The same chief pilots that told us in spring of 2004 (posted on myswa.com) that one new crew base was already paid for and would open in fall 2004 (LAS, TPA, or BNA). And is this the same chief pilot who told us that when we opened Philly with 4 gates that it would be bigger that BWI in 2 yrs (we now have 6 gates).

Like I said, I certainly hope your right, but when it comes to "I heard the chief pilot say", it usually only makes for good rumor. The facts usually come unexpected, like opening PHL, PIT, and now Denver.

like you i have my doubts on much of that except for the EFB. it seems based on talking to a bunch of folks out of PT/PC that crum and others are confirming the EFB is a done deal and budgeted for next year. i think the hand is being forced because no one is making the hardware for the OPCs anymore and something needed to be done. there is a sim now with a sample of the EFB setup already running.

Interview to Class Timeframe at SWA

Just a note for those wondering what the current timeframe is looking like:
  • Call for interview third week in May
  • Interview second week in June
  • Call to continue process July 20
  • Call for class date October 20
  • Class date slated for November 16
Good Luck to everyone waiting to hear from the latest DB!

Speed said:
- New Pilot Domicile is paid for and will open late next year. SWA currently doing the analysis, but if I were a betting man in Vegas...well, I'd guess LAS.

Speed

I hope it is not LAS. Hard Rock on a Fri-Sat night beats any overnight.:beer:

Follow Ups to Comments from the Bros

Fates,
You crack me up buddy...always looking out for those of us senior to you to move out of MDW so we can have a better life :laugh: . If Vegas were to happen, you may be right that quite a few west coast commuters would shift over to LAS. I checked Sky-Guide and there are 20-25 flights a day LAS-DEN. It looks like it could easily be commutable both ways for me. Of course the loads are always full in and out of Vegas...but CASS has opened up the jumpseat again...hmmm, we'll have to see. Don't think I'd miss the bag drag in the snow from the Crash Pad in the winter. There may also be a healthy movement to NV to eliminate State Income Tax. No sense conjecturing too much, LAS may not even turn out to be the next domicile (if there even really is one at all).

PSL--great points about the age 60 debate. Will the politicians feel pressure to extend the age to 65 though to mitigate the damage that has been done by the Bankruptcies and loss of thousands of Pensions? Personally, I have no problem with a tougher physical and allowing pilots to work until 65 if they choose to. Yes it may slow down upgrades a bit, but we'll have the same opportunity when the time comes and maybe the flying public will have more confidence in their flight crews if we're taking a tougher physical and have more incentive to be healthy and fit. That's just my opinion and I'm sure politics will influence the decision more than rational.

SWAlifter & CanyonBlue737,
Thanks for clarifying to the forum that just because "a chief pilot told me" doesn't mean it's Gospel...and is really still in just the rumor stage. I didn't live through those "psych" experiences. The thing that gave it credibility to me was the fact that he told me GK, Crummy et al were telling these things to new hire classes and during PCs...which means that at this moment in time they truly are planning on a new pilot domicile, opening two new cities, bringing EFB on line, not shying away from bigger markets, reskinning the 300s and putting in glass. But, flexibility is the key to airpower...and indecision is the key to flexibility, therefore--indecision is the key to airpower:rolleyes: . At any rate, thanks for the history and caution to keep cool heads...it's a fast breaking ball game with lots of variables.

With that said, I'm going to kick back, relax, and dream about DEN being the surprise announcement as the next pilot domicile and how great it's going to be driving to work like FatesPawn...kicking back and smokin a lucky:pimp: .

Speed

Class calls are still going out for November. For calibration, I interviewed 20 JUN and was offered 30 NOV. Good luck!

NEDude said:
What all does SWA want you to bring to the interview?

I assume the normal stuff like logbooks, background info and certificates. What else needs to be ready when they call?

Thanks.

they'll send you a checklist. most of the stuff is pretty simple (log book,medical,license) the ones you may need to track down (and could take time) are high school and college transcripts.

Latest resources

Back