SW to hire 650 this year

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Addendum

For those of us lucky enough to fly the -200 the tailwind limit is 15 knots, all the others are 10. Only once did I see it that high, rarely do the Capts I fly with go with any tailwind above 3-5 knots, just ain't that critical. I agree, most likely flamebait!

But really guys, how about getting this thread back on track with more rumors of how many we are going to hire this year!

For all the wannabes/gonnabes: I'm only doing one month in OAK after training, and I was right near the bottom of my class.
I got BWI for my second month, and some of my classmates got other bases. I should get MDW for my third month, I hope.
Some of the blankety-blank folks JUNIOR to me in the class after me got BWI right out of DAL. If I was a betting man, I'd guess that BWI is going to replace OAK as the junior base for new hires. BWI is growing and OAK isn't really.
I got a hard line in OAK this month, and it looks like my reserve schedule for June in BWI has 15 days off, including all Sundays off to go to church with my family, and even Father's Day off! After six years at the regional I came from, I would have killed for a schedule like that. Will somebody pinch me?

Anyway, I'm to OAK for another trip.
PS. Chase, thanks again for all your help and encouragement during groundschool. It helped a lot!

wil said:
Don't think it's prudent however.

You don't, they did. Do you use an OPC to figure takeoff data? Or does the F/O look through a big book and come up with a magic go/no go decision? Better technology makes for better decisions.

Originally posted by wil
Don't think it's prudent however.
If you've got enough runway in case something goes wrong and/or enough RELATIVE airspeed for a problem after V1, and the tailwind isn't related to thunderstorms or other dangerous weather patterns, what does it matter?

Is it legal? Is the aircraft performance such that it's not a problem? Then what does it matter? Why bash someone else? Can't we all just get along? Where's did all the LUV go in this relationship??!! ;) :D

So let me just review what we've learned on this thread so that I can make sure I've got it all straight . . . Southwest is going to hire 650 pilots - mostly in October - to fly 7 new 737's in South America with a 15 knot RELATIVE tailwind in thunderstorms using OPC takeoff data from CLT or PIT . . . but only on Tuesdays . . . except for OAK.

I think I got it now.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back