Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SW Execs Boast They'll Conquer Delta's ATL w/ Air Tran Merger (& get a/c for Hawaii)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm surprised nobody has made the following observation. Isn't one of SWA's major strengths the fact that they don't charge for bags? That has been a major strength for them, if Delta thinks SWA is making major inroads in ATL, what's to stop DAL from doing the same? Given the same free bags deal on DAL I'm sure SWA would have a much more difficult time competing. People fly LCC's because of the perception they are getting a deal, if that goes away, I would think people prefer the full service airlines if the price is the same.

SWA was doing just fine before the "bags fly free" campaign. I doubt they'll have any problems if DAL were to get rid of bag fees. DAL would sure lose a ton of revenue, though.

Why would SW need new (bigger) airplanes in order to fly to Hawaii? The 700 works just fine and in fact is better suited for Hawaii than the 800/900, especially out of OGG or SNA.

more seats = better CASM
800 CASM is lower than the 700

True, but given that SWA will cram so many seats in the 800, it will probably be severely weight restricted, especially in the Winter months. The 700 is already in use by several airlines and can fly out of a 7,000' strip fully loaded with the tanks topped off.

SWA is planning on 175 seats in the -800, I don't think that is cramming seats.

You think so?? As many seats as a 757 and that's not cramming them in?? C'mon....

You think so?? As many seats as a 757 and that's not cramming them in?? C'mon....

When was the last time you sat in the cabin of a SWA 737? You might just be surprised at the seat pitch compared to Delta coach.

Latest resources

Back