• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SW - charged $50 to check snowboard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr 737 "Captain" is obviously wrong for all the reasons listed above. In addition, SWA treats jumpseaters as good or better as anyone, it's a safe bet that his little rule is in his mind and not listed in any ops specs anywhere at SWA or any other airline. Finally, who says a snowboard is not normal commuting baggage? I go snowboarding on our PDX layovers as do many of our pilots. Bringing any kind of sports gear is certainly normal commuting gear and a good idea for staying healthy in our line of work.

Snow ski equipment, including skis or snowboards, ski boots, and ski poles. Effective March 1, 2012: including one pair of skis or one snowboard, one set of poles, and one pair of ski/snowboard boots encased in a container(s) acceptable to Carrier. When substituting ski equipment for a free bag, Southwest Airlines allows up to two bags (containing one set of snow skis, ski poles, and ski boots) to count as one item, even if they are packed and tagged separately.

Any of the items listed below may be checked in substitution of one piece of the free Checked Baggage allowance for each Passenger at no charge on a one-item-for-one-bag basis. If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply.

Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per check piece of luggage. Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2012, for travel on or after February 13, 2013, overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item. For tickets for travel before February 13, 2013, or for tickets purchased prior to December 15, 2012, overweight and oversize baggage fee is $50 per item.

So if you had an oversized bag over 50 lbs and 62 inches. Then you will be charged.

Sorry, what I should have said was it was a snowboard in a snowboard bag. So the first paragraph applies. I talked to the baggage desk employee in Boston. She said I shouldn't have been charged and gave me a number to call.

I will ask when I go to work next time. Who charged for the bag? The actual ticket counter before security?

Being LyodChristmas and all, if it was a Swimmy, Sammy, or Samsonite you would not have been charged.

It was the ticket counter before security. I'm sure it was just a mistake. No big deal, ill call tomorrow.

from delta.com

Golfing Equipment

One golf bag is allowed as checked baggage. Checked baggage fees may apply based on travel region and total number of checked bags. Overweight baggage fees apply to bags that exceed 50 lbs. Oversized baggage fees will be waived for golf bags that exceed 62 linear inches, but bags exceeding 115 linear inches are not allowed.

One item of golfing equipment is defined as:
one golf bag containing one set of golf clubs
golf balls and tees; and
one pair of golf shoes.
Golf clubs are allowed under the following conditions:
golf bag is packaged within a hard-shell case
golf bag is packaged within a soft-sided golf club travel bag after a limited release has been signed *
Delta is not responsible for damage noted at the time of check-in or damage due to over-packing the bag

*= means if those clubs are damaged DELTA will not PAY if they are LOST Delta will pay.

but if you want to take a set of golf clubs on DELTA from US to Europe to play golf
First bag is free but the SECOND bag is $100.00

NOT CHEAP ON DELTA EITHER

from delta.com

Golfing Equipment

One golf bag is allowed as checked baggage. Checked baggage fees may apply based on travel region and total number of checked bags. Overweight baggage fees apply to bags that exceed 50 lbs. Oversized baggage fees will be waived for golf bags that exceed 62 linear inches, but bags exceeding 115 linear inches are not allowed.

One item of golfing equipment is defined as:
one golf bag containing one set of golf clubs
golf balls and tees; and
one pair of golf shoes.
Golf clubs are allowed under the following conditions:
golf bag is packaged within a hard-shell case
golf bag is packaged within a soft-sided golf club travel bag after a limited release has been signed *
Delta is not responsible for damage noted at the time of check-in or damage due to over-packing the bag

*= means if those clubs are damaged DELTA will not PAY if they are LOST Delta will pay.

but if you want to take a set of golf clubs on DELTA from US to Europe to play golf
First bag is free but the SECOND bag is $100.00

NOT CHEAP ON DELTA EITHER

Hi Gizmo. Are we talking about golf clubs or a snowboard? Do you bring golf clubs or a golf bag into the cockpit when you jumpseat? Can you fit them in the overhead? Get the drift here? Stay on topic. You and Redflyer can't seem to focus. I haven't seen anyone carry a big golf bag into the plane and into the cockpit and ask for a ride. Nope. STAY ON TOPIC Please....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back