Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LyodChristmas

Hello,

I'm jumpseating on southwest and just got charged $50 to check my snowboard. Does anyone know what the policy is with this? Im a pilot for another airline.

I've flown on both delta and southwest before and not been charged to check it.

Thanks

Snow ski equipment, including skis or snowboards, ski boots, and ski poles. Effective March 1, 2012: including one pair of skis or one snowboard, one set of poles, and one pair of ski/snowboard boots encased in a container(s) acceptable to Carrier. When substituting ski equipment for a free bag, Southwest Airlines allows up to two bags (containing one set of snow skis, ski poles, and ski boots) to count as one item, even if they are packed and tagged separately.

Any of the items listed below may be checked in substitution of one piece of the free Checked Baggage allowance for each Passenger at no charge on a one-item-for-one-bag basis. If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply.

Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per check piece of luggage. Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2012, for travel on or after February 13, 2013, overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item. For tickets for travel before February 13, 2013, or for tickets purchased prior to December 15, 2012, overweight and oversize baggage fee is $50 per item.

So if you had an oversized bag over 50 lbs and 62 inches. Then you will be charged.

Southwest would never do that!

+1...........Let's ask Redflyer......he says BAGS do fly free, but not ski equipment or snowboards.... And jumpseaters have to pay also? Hmmm.

Bye Bye---General Lee

+1...........Let's ask Redflyer......he says BAGS do fly free, but not ski equipment or snowboards.... And jumpseaters have to pay also? Hmmm.

Bye Bye---General Lee

What does Delta charge what for golf bags?

Southwest? Free

Do bags still fly free on Southwest? Absolutely General. Show me where we charge for the FIRST or SECOND bag.

Debate much? You lose......again.

Snow ski equipment, including skis or snowboards, ski boots, and ski poles. Effective March 1, 2012: including one pair of skis or one snowboard, one set of poles, and one pair of ski/snowboard boots encased in a container(s) acceptable to Carrier. When substituting ski equipment for a free bag, Southwest Airlines allows up to two bags (containing one set of snow skis, ski poles, and ski boots) to count as one item, even if they are packed and tagged separately.

Any of the items listed below may be checked in substitution of one piece of the free Checked Baggage allowance for each Passenger at no charge on a one-item-for-one-bag basis. If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply.

Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per check piece of luggage. Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2012, for travel on or after February 13, 2013, overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item. For tickets for travel before February 13, 2013, or for tickets purchased prior to December 15, 2012, overweight and oversize baggage fee is $50 per item.

So if you had an oversized bag over 50 lbs and 62 inches. Then you will be charged.

Thanks!

It wasn't over 50 pounds or 62 inches. Ill try and call customer service.

62 inches total, so a board 12 inches wide, 40 inches long and 1 inch thick will hit the 62 limit by one inch.

What does Delta charge what for golf bags?

Southwest? Free

Do bags still fly free on Southwest? Absolutely General. Show me where we charge for the FIRST or SECOND bag.

Debate much? You lose......again.

For jumpseaters? That is what we are talking about here Red. Obviously your airline doesn't charge enough for bags, they are probably going to come after you guys next, you'll make a deal to keep your pay inexchange for RJs flown by SKW or someone else. Again, for jumpseaters, I think snowboards are probably free for us if you can get it to the gate. I think most of our planes have closets for 1st class, or bigger cockpits to store extra large bags. Looks like that probably won't happen for you. You still lose Red, still.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back