• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SW - charged $50 to check snowboard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The intent for jumpseat is for all of us to get to and from work. It is not designed for vacation travel nor should it be. Thats what ID90 ZED ETC. is for.
Last time I checked snowboards aren't a normal part of commuting luggage. Be careful what you complain about or we all could lose the privilege.

Why don't you have a talk with John Boobas and see what he has to say about your personal "Acceptable Use Policy" for your airline's jump seats, Kernal?

Some finance guy on CNBC today was talking about this subject. He said "if it wasn't for the bag fees DAL would be in the red. Hmmmmmm
If it wasn't for ancillary fees, EVERY airline would be in the red. That's a fact.

Even SWA with their priority boarding fee, overweight bag fee, pet fee, etc, etc, would be marginally-profitable or unprofitable on a quarter-by-quarter basis without them.

The simple fact is that people resist fare increases, yet the cost of producing our product goes up every year. There has to be SOME way to make the airlines profitable, and these extra fees are working. Until ALL the airlines start edging their fees up without being undercut by a new-entrant, those fees will continue to be the bread-and-butter of our industry.

That said, I can't remember the last time I got charged for checking even a larger bag, even on SWA. Checked a big box of presents a few months ago for birthdays, well over the limit (medium size U-haul box with lots of bubble wrap to make sure nothing got damaged), and the counter agent didn't say a word.

Just depends who you get. Some people don't like commuters or people who use their free jumpseat benefits for leisure travel (even though most of us do from time to time and if the seat is empty, who gives a flying flip?) :)

Hello,

I'm jumpseating on southwest and just got charged $50 to check my snowboard. Does anyone know what the policy is with this? Im a pilot for another airline.

I've flown on both delta and southwest before and not been charged to check it.

Thanks

Sorry to hear.

The gate agents are being watched closely. They are also charging SWA employees for this kind of stuff( well atleast pet carry on)

It wasn't over 50 pounds or 62 inches. Ill try and call customer service.

I'm supposed to believe that your snowboard (plus the travel-bag it's in) when measured length+width is less than 62 inches total?!

Even being generous about the width of your snowboard (let's say 9 inches) that would make your snowboard less than 4.5 feet long.

Are you a midget/dwarf/little person? That must be one hell of an FAA waiver. Do you tie big wooden blocks to the rudder pedals? When you ride the jumpseat do your feet dangle?

Bad luck

I jumpseat with snowboard frequently.

I think it was just the unlucky day for you to be charged. Next time, say "i have never been charged for a snowboard bag. Do you charge your customers for it too?" These things usually happen with new agents who are not familiar with rules. Maybe she charged it as an oversized when its not. Just ask and see what kind of explanation she/he gives you.

My snowboard bag is less than 62 also.

I'm supposed to believe that your snowboard (plus the travel-bag it's in) when measured length+width is less than 62 inches total?!

Even being generous about the width of your snowboard (let's say 9 inches) that would make your snowboard less than 4.5 feet long.

Are you a midget/dwarf/little person? That must be one hell of an FAA waiver. Do you tie big wooden blocks to the rudder pedals? When you ride the jumpseat do your feet dangle?

Sounds like the "angle of your dangle" is very small, Capt..... You and Colonel Klink (aka 737 Captain) are a joy to fly with I bet...... Looks like the poster in the above post jumpseats often with a snowboard. Hmmmmm.

Bye Bye----General Lee

Last edited:

Dude,

A 6 foot male uses a 5 foot 1/2 in snow board.

So to say that is for a midget, you must be one big MF.

Second of all, I do not think we should be charging JS ers

It is not designed for vacation travel nor should it be. Thats what ID90 ZED ETC. is for.

Strong Disagree. I don't commute. Should we show up with our schedule printed out to prove we are going to work?

The jumpseat is a pilot vacation dream! I will not take a jumpseat from somebody who says they are going to work.

The ID90 and ZED is for my wife and kids.

Using somebody's jumpseat for a vacation next month.

The jumpseat is a wonderful perk. Thanks to all the airlines that allow SWA jumpseaters.

Hello,

I'm jumpseating on southwest and just got charged $50 to check my snowboard. Does anyone know what the policy is with this? Im a pilot for another airline.
Thanks

I will ask when I go to work next time. Who charged for the bag? The actual ticket counter before security?

Being LyodChristmas and all, if it was a Swimmy, Sammy, or Samsonite you would not have been charged.

The intent for jumpseat is for all of us to get to and from work. It is not designed for vacation travel nor should it be. Thats what ID90 ZED ETC. is for.
Last time I checked snowboards aren't a normal part of commuting luggage. Be careful what you complain about or we all could lose the privilege.

Was that flame bait ?

I sure hope you do not think that. I have just as much right to the JS as you do. You want to punish me because I drive to work ?

So in my world, POT( Premium Open Time ) is only for pilots who drive to work :)

Latest resources

Back