• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Suspected drunk pilot in OMA? Republic/CHQ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A issue here is that a pilot would rather risk his career and life rather than suffer the company consequences. Nice safety culture we have here

Greetings. When did frontier start flying 190s. I am afraid to ask what chatauqua pilots are being paid to fly frontier planes!

If I caught a guy raping my wife, police would be the least of his worries. (Remember, when seconds count, they are just minutes away.)

OTOH, the van driver could have said, "Sir, you're not looking well, I'm sure your room is still available." And/or, "I smell alcohol. I strongly recommend you ride back to the hotel with me."

Then, given how I've seen some pilots treat van drivers, there's probably some petty satisfaction in having a part in ending one's career - especially if the person in question was a total DB.

I'll take a stab at it. It is ironic that the pilot tipped the van driver for helping him get to the plane that morning then the guy turned around and stopped him from getting to the plane. Either way, i think he was pointing out the humor in it more than saying he shouldn't have snitched. I think we would all agree that this pilot was an idiot for what he did and the van driver, although he did "snitch", did the right thing.

Dave

PS It's ironic that a guy with the name Little Mojito is bashing someone for drinking.

This is why I quite tipping van drivers

Bull. The van driver is a prick. He could have confronted the pilot in the van. If he would have let the pilot know he was calling the police, I'm sure the pilot would have gone back to the hotel with the van driver. The van driver is a rat, plain and simple. It's still the pilot's fault also, but the van driver is a scumbag.

You just fricking nailed it well said

Van Drivers Fault..

Bull. The van driver is a prick. He could have confronted the pilot in the van. If he would have let the pilot know he was calling the police, I'm sure the pilot would have gone back to the hotel with the van driver. The van driver is a rat, plain and simple. It's still the pilot's fault also, but the van driver is a scumbag.

I'm thinking you comment is nothing more then flamebait. Your saying it's the van drivers fault the pilot showed up drunk to fly. Whatever happened to taking responsibility for your own actions. It's not the van drivers job to pull someone off a flight for being drunk. We could also blame the hotel or front desk person. Do you know how stupid you sound to most people.

I'm thinking you comment is nothing more then flamebait. Your saying it's the van drivers fault the pilot showed up drunk to fly. Whatever happened to taking responsibility for your own actions. It's not the van drivers job to pull someone off a flight for being drunk. We could also blame the hotel or front desk person. Do you know how stupid you sound to most people.

LOL agree. I have never seen a pilot who doesn't wear a watch or have a cellphone with a clock on it. If you can't tell time, stop boozing 12 hours prior to report, and a mind altering liquid is more important than your career then you don't deserve to be in the cockpit of a multi-million dollar airplane. Obviously, the decision making skills need to be tweaked.

I had the opportunity to speak to a hotel staff and a pilot who works for the same company. It is not a great story and it is upsetting that multiple incidents have occurred within the same company in the last 12 months.

Did u have to fly 8 legs the next day, like everyone on hear says u guys do everyday?

Yes. Showing up at the airport after an overnight with fellow crewmembers, in the absence of reporting yourself unavailable to crew scheduling, is considered intention to operate.
That may be the rule at your airline. However, the DOT's rules say that
"Reasonable Suspicion" cannot be acted upon unless the crew member is ON the a/c. Up to the point that one foot is on that a/c you can STILL call off/be pulled aside, etc "no harm, no foul." The lawyers on both sides can argue "intent to operate" but the threshold for a test is presence on the a/c.

As for being a crime to be at the airport drunk, I believe the charge could only be Public Intoxication. There could be company policy violations with being drunk in uniform, conduct unbecoming, etc.

Drunken Pilot...

That may be the rule at your airline. However, the DOT's rules say that
"Reasonable Suspicion" cannot be acted upon unless the crew member is ON the a/c. Up to the point that one foot is on that a/c you can STILL call off/be pulled aside, etc "no harm, no foul." The lawyers on both sides can argue "intent to operate" but the threshold for a test is presence on the a/c.

As for being a crime to be at the airport drunk, I believe the charge could only be Public Intoxication. There could be company policy violations with being drunk in uniform, conduct unbecoming, etc.

According to your "Reasonable Suspician" The van driver might of saved him from serving jail time. Where does "intent" come into play with showing up to fly and being on duty. I assume he was not taken off the flight, until being caught...

Latest resources

Back