• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Suspected drunk pilot in OMA? Republic/CHQ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quick question. Was he on board the plane? If not, is it a crime for a crew member to show up intoxicated at the airport?

Quick question. Was he on board the plane? If not, is it a crime for a crew member to show up intoxicated at the airport?

Good question. In most of the drunk pilot cases I'm aware of they wait till the person gets into the cockpit before they make their move.

However I'm pretty sure I've heard of people being charged with "intent" to operate an aircraft under the influence. I'm not sure if the charge is locality specific.

Showing up drunk for a flight is always a bad deal, but nobody knows the circumstances involved. It's amazing to see pilots bashing each other and acting like a bunch of school girls. Is everyone looking for a upgrade from first officer?

And what "Circumstance involved" would make it OK to show up drunk for a flight....Amazing?

"0" tolerance for reporting for duty drunk. Or would you be ok if your doctor was "a little drunk" for your surgery?

Plenty of doctors with alcohol/drug issues.
They just keep it on the low.

Suspected Drunk Pilot...

There are no facts and only speculation to this point. I'm wondering if other flight crew members might have known. Any required crew member showing up with the intent of flying drunk is never a good thing. Besides getting fired from your company. He could end up serving some jail time.

Last edited:
Yes. Showing up at the airport after an overnight with fellow crewmembers, in the absence of reporting yourself unavailable to crew scheduling, is considered intention to operate. There is no way to escape the wrath that will follow. The company, the public, law enforcement, and many others will not have any sympathy. The only protection from such unpleasant outcomes is to show up without any alcohol in your blood. Therefore, without exception and without excuse, never show up as a crewmember or jumpseater with any alcohol in your blood. You can metabolize one drink an hour. Give yourself wide margin. If you can't do this, then you may need assistance with alcohol dependence. Get private help. Do not go through your company. Stop drinking so much, you dodo bird.

I thought so. I was wondering if he lawyers up and the lawyer can claim he wasn't going to fly, but he was going to call out sick at the airport....etc, etc.

I thought so. I was wondering if he lawyers up and the lawyer can claim he wasn't going to fly, but he was going to call out sick at the airport....etc, etc.
I hear ya. There is always a chance in the American Judicial Sytem. This one is a tough sell though.

well IBT 357 has a great HIMS program,,,,,,,,,wait you guys DONT have a HIMS program do you? in case you dont know, you DONT, YEA IBT, ONE LIST, ONE VOICE, ONE CONTRACT, not that it would help now, but it might have helped before he dove off the deep end. Do you know who has stepped up and helped rep/chq/whoever pilots in the past with this issue? FAPA not IBT. Call Doug Turner maybe he can help.

Does it really make you feel better to take potshots at a lowly rj kid that just ********************ed up his life? Don't worry, the divorce is almost finalized and we can all go about our merry ways.

Latest resources

Back