• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Surviving red eyes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Depends on the "science" you're reading, it seems to be all over the place.

Some say a cool/cold shower to lower the body core temp. Others say the warm/hot shower, after getting out causes the body to cool down and help induce sleep.

You can quote articles from all sorts of sources/studies that cite either one.

True- for sleep quick warm shower is better- and the air gives that drop in temp
Cool is still good for sleep in a longer 10 min shower, the water itself provides the drop in core temp-
and has the added benefit of test production -

Point not lost- grab a shower and it helps

Running sprints is another great way to fatigue yourself for good sleep later, and its good for us over 40 types to help keep our bone density and testosterone up. You definately need to ease into it at first, but once you get used to them, you'll most likely be addicted.

Running sprints is another great way to fatigue yourself for good sleep later, and its good for us over 40 types to help keep our bone density and testosterone up. You definately need to ease into it at first, but once you get used to them, you'll most likely be addicted.

Agreed-and curling more than 10 pounders in the gym will get the test up as well.

How do you guys force yourself to sleep during the day after a late flight followed by a red eye the next night?

I lay around all day trying to force myself to sleep after having slept from the night before. It's stressful and makes for an exhausting return leg.

Become more senior and bid off of them.

You guys got the wrong techniques. Try this......

sleeping-pilots.jpg

Skip coffee and workout in the morning. I can usually get a good nap after that.
When time zones reek havoc on my sleep pattern I've had good luck with a sleep aid I got at Whole Foods. It's called Power to Sleep PM. It's a melatonin supplement with some nutrients that aid relaxation. It seems to work quite well. For sure stay away from meds like Ambian. I know some who will take a Tylenol PM when they really need to sleep. I prefer the natural route.

When I was doing redeyes, I would stay up a few hours on the West Coast, then get up pretty early. Get out and walk. Come back to the hotel around lunch time. Greasy Bacon Cheeseburger, 2 pints Sierra Nevada . . . . sleep, not a problem!

Wake up in the evening, hit the gym, head to the airport. Drink coffee until Memphis. Land. Go home.

When I was doing redeyes, I would stay up a few hours on the West Coast, then get up pretty early. Get out and walk. Come back to the hotel around lunch time. Greasy Bacon Cheeseburger, 2 pints Sierra Nevada . . . . sleep, not a problem!

Wake up in the evening, hit the gym, head to the airport. Drink coffee until Memphis. Land. Go home.

You forgot, whine to my FO all the way!!!!!

You forgot, whine to my FO all the way!!!!!

Hey, keep your shoes on, pal . . . . if you don't like it, you can always go back to flying for Mustache Pete and the S. Florida Jet Mafia. . . . we'll have him serve you up some of those 32-hour Bora Bora turns!

:laugh:

Last edited:
Regional guy here but with the kind of schedules we run, thought I'd offer my tip for falling asleep early...melatonin. Will gently get you to sleep for about 4 hours after which, oddly, you'll wake up totally refreshed. Your mileage may vary.

Latest resources

Back