• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Surviving red eyes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As has been stated getting up relatively early on west coast time works best for me. Excercise is critical, IMHO too. A light lunch and by 4 pm I'm usually ready to crash.

There is no 'one size fits all' solution.
When I flew red eyes out of LAX to the east coast, they were easy. The hard part for me was getting to my hotel room before the sun came up. Once sunlight hit my skin, it kept me awake. I read a scientific article on it years ago, but can't find it right now.

For those times that I 'woke up' at sunrise, I'd stay up a few more hours working out in the gym and walking around. After that, I'd get three or four hours of sleep before the flight. It was enough to get through.

When I flew international to South America, we'd fly all night and arrive in the AM. I'd stay up for most of the day and then get a good 10 hours of sleep before the flight.

I always carry an eye mask and ear plugs when having to fly trips where I bounce around the clock.

My best recommendation is that you keep a journal for a while and figure out what works for you. Be safe.

One or two Benadryl (pink OTC allergy pills) will make you drowsy enough to fall asleep, generally in two hours or less, regardless of time of day. No other side effects, other than making you impervious to cat allergies. Alcohol intensifies this.

OR....

You could just turn off the lights, lie quietly in bed under the covers, ... and rub one out. Then close your eyes and you'll fall asleep faster than your wife could bitch at you, if she were there. :)

Or so I've heard......

Bubba

The more correct corollary would be: The best way to say that a sprint triathlon is easy is to have done ironman triathlons.

I remember thinking how horrible the Las Vegas to Charlotte red eyes were. If I had to do them today I would consider it a walk in the park compared to some of the night flights I've been doing in the last 11 years.

TP

No, it's a good analogy
Sleeping less than 6 hours is incredibly detrimental to your health-
(So is sleeping on average more than 9 but I've never seen anyone accomplish this:))

There is a healthy objective reality you should be striving toward- and that's at least 6 hours sleep every 24 you're alive.

Doing something harder doesn't make functioning on 4-5 more healthy, though i concede, it may appear that way

Along the line of fatigue management on a trip, I would say don't forget the importance of staying hydrated. I make sure I drink a LOT of water, I throw in cocoanut water and try to eat a banana (potassium) and don't overdue coffee.

Speaking of coffee, it's great to use if you don't overdue it. A one to two cup a day habit makes it easy to forego if you want to get sleepy and then when you do drink it you get the uplift from the caffeine. If you are a heavy coffee drinker it's harder to skip it to induce sleepyness ( you get headache) and the caffeine bus doesn't work as well.

Latest resources

Back