Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Survey: Now that we all have our W-2s....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Perhaps the reason so many flight departments favor fighter time (disclaimer: the VAST majority of my military time is props and rotors) is because the past performance of this group has been outstanding. Don't get me wrong, I have found many "center line thrust theorists" to be more than a little over the top and I think it is often not the hardware that defines the greatness of the pilot. However, most fighter pilots have earned that position by a combination of hands, work ethic and ability to master new skills. If an airline has found them to be an excellent return on their training dollars no wonder they favor that group.

In the end what you think and feel about it will affect nothing other than your own attitude. Life is not fair and there are many things to feel bitter about: the more bitter you allow yourself to become the more things will go against you, giving you even more excuses to feel bitter.

Just to add some balance to this discussion: most military pilots don't go to fighters, they go to crew operated transports and bombers which they fly internationally. A partion list of these aircraft follows:

B-1, B-2, B-52.

C-2, C-5 Galaxy, C-9 (DC-9), C-12 (Super KingAir), C-17 Globemaster III, C-20 (Gulfstream G-III / G-IV), C-21 (Learjet 35), C-22 (Boeing 727), C-26, C-27, C-35 (Citation V), C-32 (Boeing 757-200), C-37 (Gulfstream GV/G550), C-38 (Gulfstream G-100), C-40 (Boeing 737-700), C-130 Hercules, C-135 (Boeing 707)

KC 10 (DC 10), KC 135 (Boeing 707).

E-2, E-3 (Boeing 707), E-4 (Boeing 747), E-6A/B (Boeing 707), E-8 (Boeing 707), EC-18 (Boeing 707), ES3A Shadow.

T-43 (Boeing 737)

VC-25 (Boeing 747-400)

Muddy

`

Last edited:
My point is/was that we are all airline pilots operating in the civilian world now, regardless of our backgrounds. Since you homos, couldn't figure this out...I figured I should point it out in this post. You guys sure are sensitive.

Oh, by the way... I never claimed to be a spokesperson for Southwest Airlines. In-fact, I'm not allowed to be one without the consent of the VP of Flight Ops.

:-) said:
If your spouse and kids were riding in the back of a Super80 and both pilots became incapacitated, and there were two pilots riding in the back would you rather have the Eagle RJ Captain (who likely has thousands of hours in the left seat of a TWA 80) take command, or the Naval Academy grad with five years experience in the Super Hornet?

Calvin

Hands down, the Naval Academy, Naval Aviator.:)

Nobody cares what your rank was back in the boyscouts, here in the civilian world the guys at the regionals are getting experience doing the exact same job the guys at the majors do, just for less money. Makes training them easy.

SeaSpray said:
The voice of yet another person who couldn't qualify for military flight school and just couldn't get past it. Sorry, honey, if you're under the waiver age of 27 and a half, you can try again.

Sorry to you too because not everyone in the world of aviation aspires to be a military pilot. All pilots, whatever their background and training, should respect their fellow aviators.

:)

HMM

$42,500 2nd/3rd year 1900 CA colgan air. Thread doesn't bother me. This is good for people to see what they are getting into. Something to be excited or depressed about.

Dr Feelgood said:
Something to be excited or depressed about.

Are you talking about this thread or Motley Crue?

Cry on my shoulder?

That was quite a peeeing match! Does anyone actually think that one group flies airplanes better than the other? Especially those who already fly for the airlines, do you guys have these conversations with your Mil or Civ co-workers or do you just bottle it up inside, wait till you get home and cry in your beer as you write it on this post?

Enough nonsense....now how much do you make?

Latest resources

Back