Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Surrendering a certificate? Straight to ATP?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

This is purely hypothetical. Say you are about to get violated. You surrender your certs (ATP CFI etc). Can you immediately go out and take a checkride for the ATP or do you have to go Private, commercial etc. You obviously have the experience requirements. So I think you can go straight to a ATP checkride. Also, can they stop you from doing the checkride weeks after the surrender and violate or suspend or have some sort of penalty on you for the previous violation?

Thanks

Don't have the regs in front of me, but i'm sure there's a prerequisite to have a commericial ticket before hand.

What did you do?

I didn't do anything. LOL

Yea your right you need to hold a private pilot before the commercial.

Sec. 61.153​

Eligibility requirements: General.
To be eligible for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must:
(a) Be at least 23 years of age;
(b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft;
(c) Be of good moral character;
(d) Meet at least one of the following requirements:
(1) Hold at least a commercial pilot certificate and an instrument rating;
(2) Meet the military experience requirements under Sec. 61.73 of this part to qualify for a commercial pilot certificate, and an instrument rating if the person is a rated military pilot or former rated military pilot of an Armed Force of the United States; or
(3) Hold either a foreign airline transport pilot or foreign commercial pilot license and an instrument rating, without limitations issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.
(e) Meet the aeronautical experience requirements of this subpart that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought before applying for the practical test;
(f) Pass a knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas of Sec. 61.155(c) of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought;
(g) Pass the practical test on the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.157(e) of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought; and
(h) Comply with the sections of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought.
That addresses the issue of not necessarily needing a commercial prior to applying for an ATP. It does not address whether you can get the ATP the day after your tickets are pulled. I suspect the revocation paperwork will desingate a waiting period.​

I didn't do anything. LOL

Yea your right you need to hold a private pilot before the commercial.
Not necessarily. My first FAA certificate was a commercial. I never had a student or private certificate. When I was doing my CFI, my instructor told me to do the maneuver like I did when I was working on my private. He was a little surprised that I never had a private.

This is purely hypothetical. Say you are about to get violated. You surrender your certs (ATP CFI etc). Can you immediately go out and take a checkride for the ATP or do you have to go Private, commercial etc. You obviously have the experience requirements. So I think you can go straight to a ATP checkride. Also, can they stop you from doing the checkride weeks after the surrender and violate or suspend or have some sort of penalty on you for the previous violation?

Thanks
First off, does surrendering one's certificates have an impact on the violation process?

Second, isn't there something along the way that asks if you've ever held FAA certificates prior?

In other words, I don't believe it's the "certificate" that gets the violation...it's the "airman" ("airperson"?)

Fly safe!

David

You have to have a private to get a commercial and so on...

You cannot get any kind of certificate if you have any certificate action 'pending'...

You will have to wait out the revocation time and do all the writtens and checkrides again beginning with Private.

Surrendering will start the clock quicker than waiting for due process.

Not necessarily. My first FAA certificate was a commercial. I never had a student or private certificate. When I was doing my CFI, my instructor told me to do the maneuver like I did when I was working on my private. He was a little surprised that I never had a private.
If you didn't hold a student pilot cert.,which is also your medical what did you use for your first solo?

If you didn't hold a student pilot cert.,which is also your medical what did you use for your first solo?
My first solo was in a military aircraft. They didn't require any pilot certificates before or after pinning wings on. I got my commercial by showing my military flight records and showing that I successfully passed a 40 question multiple choice test - no flight involved. Same thing for the instrument rating except no additional test involved.

Either way you converted military to civilian. Your training syllabus obviously covered those manuevers and procedures for a PVT, INST, and COMM in the civilian world.

Latest resources

Back