• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Surfing Peru

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Okay, now I'm getting serious about this. I'm hoping to go in May-probably near the end of the month. Information is a little more scarce than I would expect, but I'm learning it's pretty darned doable, and I must get on that Chicama left. I'd appreciate any info from anyone who's been. I really don't want to take a longboard down there, so tips on where to get a decent board would be greatly appreciated. Anyone interested in riding the longest left in the world????

Peru

A good friend of mine made it. He took public transporation everywere and brought his own boards. Though they weren't longboards. May might not be the biggest time of year but the southern ocean should be starting to turn on. The late southern winter would have the best potential for big waves. Also Peru picks up north and south swell so our winter will provide waves. After keeping my eye on swell models for about 2 seasons it looks like Peru picks up just about any westerly swell direction.

Run a search for surfcamps. There are quite a few down there.

Your going to score. Have fun. Let me know what happens.

I'm working on a peruvian girl right now. I'll let you know how it goes......
If her name is Maria, I've already been there....

Anyway, thanks for the responses, I'm looking at hiring one of the guided surf trips that I've found online. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

The plan starts to come together.... I plan on Jumpseating out of MIA on American. I see they require us to call their jumpseat desk and list. Anyone know how far in advance we can do this?

Phenomenal trip!

The guided tour was definitely the way to go. 7 consecutive days in the water and no crowd factor! Some days we had completely to ourselves. I highly recommend either of these places to arrange a trip for you. J/S'ing on AA was a piece of cake.
http://www.eco-innovationtours.com/surfingtrips.htm
http://www.surfpenascal.com/

In 7 days we managed to surf Bermejo, Pacasmayo, Chicama, Puerto Viejo and San Bartolo. We totally lucked out on the conditions as well. Luckily, the peak of the swell hit while we were in Chicama....That place is indescribable. I have been to Pavones in Costa Rica, and there's no comparison. I thought Pavones was awesome, but it pales to Chicama in length of ride.
This shot will give you an idea as to the crowd level in Peru:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa36/peru_trip2007/Peru090.jpg
(yeah, that's me, there:cool: .)

I took my own board, but they can arrange boards for you also.

Last edited:
Great surf!

Howdy! Lived in Lima for 6 months...some of the best surf of my life and pretty easy to get to. I am a SWA guy but am setting up an airline surf club kind of like the ski clubs. Just working on the site swasurfclub.com. If you have Lima surf questions shoot me an email at [email protected]

Latest resources

Back