• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SuperCub vs. Husky

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I used to do tailwheel endorsements, and while I used Super Cubs to do it, I never leaned on the capabilities of the airplane to get flying done. Of course, you know what you need best, but if you wanted something for fun/giving a bit of dual, you could save half of your money, I'd guess.

Watch out for insurance, too. When you say "giving instruction" in a conventional gear a/c they begin to ask for big bucks. I worked for a company that used its airplanes for commercial purposes only and we paid 10K a year for insurance...with a specific limitation: No instruction.

Not that you'll pay anywhere near that, but even as we were giving our souls to them they didn't cover us for giving dual.

Doesn't matter anymore - as of today I've got access to a T-34 for basically gas money. I'll fly it about 3 to 5 times a month and save the rest of my cash for a rainy day. Sometimes you just get luckey.

I've got some time in T-34s, all B models. Very fun, and getting cheaper by the day. Flying club airplane? Which powerplant?

yes, navy club - we used to have 4 but one had a bird strike and won't be repaired (on the wing to the spar). All others have had the wing mod done so they are good to go. Down to 2 right now as one is awaiting an engine change. they are all stock navy with the O-470. alittle doggy when its hot out but besides that a great plane for just flying around.

I have roughly 500 hrs in each and believe the Husky is hands down a better airplane but as LJDRVR said, the pitch trim system is a stupid setup. That seems to be the only complaint with the airplane that I have heard from other owners. My Super Cub was a good airplane as well but it seemed that airplane was closer to the J-3 then a modern airplane. I primarily used the Husky to get into short dirt strips where it seemed right at home mainly because of the responsive controls and great forward visibility. Although both are great airplanes I ended up selling them and buying a Super Decathlon; which is more fun then the both of them combined.

yes, navy club - we used to have 4 but one had a bird strike and won't be repaired (on the wing to the spar). All others have had the wing mod done so they are good to go. Down to 2 right now as one is awaiting an engine change. they are all stock navy with the O-470. alittle doggy when its hot out but besides that a great plane for just flying around.

Quickly, so as not to drift any further, I only flew one with the 470, mostly all of my T-34 time is behind the IO-550. It really gives it a kick in the pants. I've been all over the US in one; it is a simple, fun airplane. Enjoy.

I guess im old and traditional, but Im a Super Cub guy hands down. A good 160HP / Leading edge exhaust Super cub with a navcom and hand help GPS will take ya in and out of holes and gravel bars than a husky dreams of. If you get someone who knows what their doing to fix up your super-cub, it'll fly as "smooth" as any Husky, with a greater payload and half the price.

Husky's are good planes, the only problem is that most bush pilots cant exactly fork out $200,000 for a Husky when some good Super Cubs can be had for $80,000.

Latest resources

Back