SuperCub vs. Husky

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Taildraggaah

I have flown the SuperCub but never the Husky. How do they compare? It seems that people that I speak with that fly the SuperCub first, seem to dislike the Husky, just my observation. But the same can't be said when someone flies the Husky first. Any objective comparisons out there?

I towed banners with a Husky many years ago and found the plane to handle quite well. Everyone always told me it was like a SuperCub on steroids.

I've got around 600 hours in Super Cubs and a little in Huskies. I think that the Husky is a dead knock off of the Cub, but with every possible improvement. The handles for ground handling, improved door, etc. I will say that the one that I flew I don't think performed as well off the ground as a 180 Super Cub(which Piper never actually made, so I guess that's worth something). My favorite addition was the spades. That did improve the feel of the airplane, especially when you were really throwing it around; I always felt like the Cub was just a little heavy handed on the ailerons.

Well, I definitely like the fact that the fuel selector in the Husky is "on" or "off"...I had a student turn the fuel off on a Super Cub twice while trying to switch tanks. We were pretty close to the ground before I noticed it the second time :(

Otherwise, you can take the position that the Husky is a Super Cub on steriods. Or you can take the position that they're both high-wing, tandem-two-seat taildraggers, and the comparison ends there. Either way, you'd be right ;)

My guess is that the "Super Cub first" group that doesn't like the Husky are probably steeped in traidition, and looking at it as a Super Cub that had a lot of changes made to it, some of which they don't understand, others of which they don't like. The "Husky first" group is probably looking at it more along the lines of two different airplanes.

Fly safe!

David

Funny, I had a student in a super cub turn the fuel off while trying to blindly trim the airplane just after lift off(there's no way we were above 500 feet). The thing went silent with me in the back seat(having access to nothing). The lady in the front said "you've got it" and gave up. I said, "Okay, there are a few things that I need you to do." and walked her through the standard suspects: mags, fuel, etc, all the while setting up to land in a field just next to our airport. She verified for me that the fuel was on a good tank as I turned base for said field, but something just wasn't sitting right with me, so I leaned as far forward as I could and barely got a hold of the fuel selector. Grabbed it, gave it a whirl and away we went. The thing lit right back up and we were on our way.

I briefed the trim and fuel selectors a little more thoroughly after that.

I've owned the Husky and have alot of hours in them and have flown the Cub a handfull of times. I like the feel of the Husky better, lighter on the controls and more powerful feeling.

I've flown both and the CA-1 is a better airplane in all respects but one:

The stupid spring-loaded pitch trim. Hate it.

For that reason alone I'd take the PA-18 first. Especially when you take looks into account.

the cub still has more useful load - thats what count when hauling stuff pays the bills. You cant put full fuel and 2 big guys in a husky like you can in a pa18, atleast not on paper.

A PA-18-150 is one of the most useful/versital aircraft for moving stuff and other light aircraft type jobs. Me and a friend are thinking about getting one to do tailwheel checkouts.

That's an expensive airplane just for the sake of giving dual. Especially when Champs, Citabrias, T-craft, C-120, etc. can all be had so reasonably. Cubs, both super and regular type, are worth way more than the sum of their parts just because of the name they bear and the fact that they're so darn useful.

That's an expensive airplane just for the sake of giving dual. Especially when Champs, Citabrias, T-craft, C-120, etc. can all be had so reasonably.

yeah but like I said, you cant put 2 big guys in any of thoes above.

we figure 65 to 80k will get us a nice pa28-150. just kicking around the idea. I would like to do tailwheel checkouts but really don't want to run a bizz. plus my friend wants to get on with Alaska and I'm (hope) gonna stay in phl with US Air.

I may just keep saving and get a Varga (35 to 40k). I've got enough stashed away for a C-150 but may hold out for the Varga.

Shortly I should be able to have access to a T-34 for 60/hr so if that happens I'll just keep saving until I don't have access to the t34 anymore.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back