Sunburning thru cockpit windows??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mckpickle said:
From what I understand the windsheilds are all polarized. Correct me if im wrong but I think this means it is meshed with a layer of tiny little holes to allow the light through. You never really notice it unless you wear polarized sunglasses. Then if you turn your head in the right way the whole windshield will turn black. Or i could just be full of it.

Aircraft windscreens are not polarized, but the fine wires that some planes have in the windscreen for anti-ice and defogging can have the same effect. You are correct that wearing polarized sunglasses can create problems, since if the lines in the glasses are 90 degrees perpendicular to the lines in the windshield, you won't see anything at all.

Polarization or windshield heat wires do not block UV rays, although they will reduce it by a small amount. Visible, IR, UV, or any other rays that are oriented 90 degrees to the lines in the glass will be blocked. Make any sense?

Makes great sence. I was given bad information, thank you for correcting me. That is very good info. :cheers:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back