Sunburning thru cockpit windows??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
EagleRJ said:

If paranoia is your thing, you should worry about cosmic radiation. The X-rays, gamma rays, and assorted atomic particles are much more intense above the Earth's atmosphere, which filters it all out for those on the ground. I've read that on one trip across the Atlantic, you recieve the equivalent rads of one chest x-ray. During increased sunspot activity, the radiation level can exceed the OSHA levels accepted for nuclear power plant workers. The higher you go, the worse it is, since the density of the atmosphere is the only thing that will protect you. The radiation is most intense above 35,000, since the majority of the atmosphere is below that altitude.

In addition to sunblock and a nice coat of zinc oxide on my nose (lifeguard style), I always wear a tinfoil hat with a couple of static wicks attached to the top when operating above FL310.

I tried a pith helmet with a built in fan on the visor that I found at Sharper Image,for a while. I found that too much of the cosmic radiation was still getting thru. Hence the switch to the tinfoil setup. I seems to work much better.

;)

hahahaha do you have access to a digital camera? Could you please take a photo of yourself in this setup and post here? What do you do to protect yourself from breathing the more potent levels of chemtrails at altitude?

RT

There was actually a captain who used to work here who would keep a folded piece of aluminum foil under his headset when he flew. I guess blocking the radiation was his goal, even though he would have needed a large sheet of lead foil to even start making a difference.

rumpletumbler said:
hahahaha do you have access to a digital camera? Could you please take a photo of yourself in this setup and post here? What do you do to protect yourself from breathing the more potent levels of chemtrails at altitude?

RT

Any time I see chemtrails, or what all you non believers call contrails, I immediately don my yellow PBE Smoke hood. I ordered it from Sporty's.

;)

skin cancer and medical

How does treatment of skin cancer affect the status of your medical? Anyone know first hand?

With people like this, I get more and more afraid to share airspace. I guess the "funny strange" humour is an aquired taste.

cvsfly said:
With people like this, I get more and more afraid to share airspace. I guess the "funny strange" humour is an aquired taste.

??????

Hey MetroSheriff,

Do you know where I can find another one of those tinfoil hats, I seemed to have lost mine. Maybe you should start selling those in Sporties, if people really buy those yellow PBE's then there is no telling what you can get them to buy!! You could call them "Funny Strange" hats! :D

From what I understand the windsheilds are all polarized. Correct me if im wrong but I think this means it is meshed with a layer of tiny little holes to allow the light through. You never really notice it unless you wear polarized sunglasses. Then if you turn your head in the right way the whole windshield will turn black. Or i could just be full of it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back