• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Summer Job Oppurtunity

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where in Idaho are you working? Please PM me with details; if you're working for us you have to suffer through indoc from me and aircraft training from CelticCitation.

Air Attack duties are pretty simple: show up at the airport at the appointed time, preflight the aircraft, and wait. Clean the airplane while you wait. Be ready to go. Over the fire, stay at the briefed altitudes: there are lots of aircraft in a small area, so altitude separation is important. Keep the fire in sight, make sure that the observer can see the tanker drop. You fly the airplane and let them fight the fire, but speak up if you see something like smoke where there shouldn't be any. Watch for other airplanes, keep an eye on your fuel.

Remember that you are part of a crew. Each Air Attack you fly with will be a little different, so try to get to know them a little.

Some air attack pilot gigs are mostly in one spot for a fire season (BLM contract), and others are all around as needed, especially if its for USFS contract). I spent the better part of the 2002 fire season from Santa Fe, because that national forest staged a recon plane there to do daily flights to look for fires.

You will fly with someone who is an ATGS, which is Air Tactical Group Supervisor. They can make decisions about ordering up tankers and other assets to a fire, and you will orbit overhead so he can size up the fire and determine if tankers are needed. Sometimes you will guide in wildland fire engines to the fire. ALso he will want to watch the tanker drops, so you will have to position the plane to give him good visibility of the drop.

Some of the ATGSs are calm and can handle a sky full of aircraft just fine, and others are not quite so calm and competent. Many of them are retired USFS who can come back for fire seasons. After a season of doing it, you will pretty much be able to size up a fire and give a description of it almost as good as they can.

Thanks for all the info. I have been researching the web all day and have been doing a lot of reading. It just seems to get more exciting by the minute.

leaving huh?

They finally kick your a$$ out of Homer? Drop me a PM with your questions. I'm flying air attack in AZ right now using twin commanders. Seasons' just starting. From what I hear about Avcenter, S. Gunter, and the operation they seem to be a good outfit. Pays a bit low for air attack but it's fun flyn' and Pocatellos' alot drier. Commander is a dream compared to the islander (once you learn to taxi.) Straightforward 135 ride followed by a real basic OAS check flight. Stay safe,,,keep it out of the trees.

You flying them at Safford?

I have been at the silver city tanker base the last week.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back