• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sully's landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Now I could be wrong, but the only people I've ever heard pissed off that the captain took control of an aircraft are fo's who are pissed they are still a fo.

"I think his performance was average. Not perfect and none of you would have been perfect either in the same situation."
Yeah landing an A-320 on the water deadstick is average. I did it 3 times last week myself.

I know you dudes love to hero worship, but all I got out of it was a white-haired captain instantly saying "I got it", when "getting it" didn't do anybody any good. In terms of "keeping options open", maybe. I didn't hear him doing checklists, nor did he hit the "ditch switch".

All in all, other than not turning back, I don't see where the hero part shows up.

The controller on the other hand...

God, I love Monday morning quarterbacking....

Now I could be wrong, but the only people I've ever heard pissed off that the captain took control of an aircraft are fo's who are pissed they are still a fo.

You know what's hilarious, someone referring to Al Haines and the great job he did and than complaing about the fact that Sully said "I got it". The reality is when Al Haines had his problem, the F/O was flying and guess what, he took control of the airplane. You're right about the F/O's, it's the weak ones that are the biggest complainers, you just don't hear the sharp ones whining.

Too many haters. Anybody who isn't proud of sully and are too bent up about skiles' attention- have ego issues. FO's - relax- your role is clearly defined- it's responsible- but it's not equal. Anti-authority anyone? It's not the only career where your boss would get credit for leading your work. And I haven't seen sully do anything but praise him and try to deflect as much attention to jeff as possible. You look petty when you critique this.

Though I do believe it was a misstep to insert himself in the usapa bullsh!t.

You can respect the job he did without falling into the hero worship that people seem to not be able to help. Did he do ok? Yes. Did he do perfect? Nope.

Is he a hero? Well, define heroism. Did he put his own life on the line for someone else, like running into a burning building? Nope. Did he give up a kidney for someone needing a transplant? Nope. Did he fall on a hand-grenade to save his platoon? See where I'm going?

Sully banked left, flared and landed in the water. He did ok, but eveyone lining up single-file to slurp on the little sully is a bit off-putting.

And that opinion sounds petty to most everyone- even pilots. Stupid actually.

You can respect the job he did without falling into the hero worship that people seem to not be able to help. Did he do ok? Yes. Did he do perfect? Nope.

Is he a hero? Well, define heroism. Did he put his own life on the line for someone else, like running into a burning building? Nope. Did he give up a kidney for someone needing a transplant? Nope. Did he fall on a hand-grenade to save his platoon? See where I'm going?

Sully banked left, flared and landed in the water. He did ok, but eveyone lining up single-file to slurp on the little sully is a bit off-putting.

Sully did more in three minutes than you will accomplish in your pathetic career.

He's a hero to all 150+ lives he saved that day. Call it what you wish, but to many, he is a hero (as per definition).

1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities. 2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal

He fits in #1 for sure, and he fits in #2 to many.

Latest resources

Back