• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sully special on TLC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wonder how Skiles can get in the cockpit every time without looking at that APU bleed switch and thinking "what if ?".

You suggesting that maybe captain america shoulda been comfortable handling the restart, and let the rookie take the day vmc, light wind, 4000 ft wide river landing?

as for Sully's wife......I'd hit it.:)

The show made mention of Sully and crew being invited to the Obama inauguration. He said roughly; This accident occurred when people wanted change for the last year or so and that he was honored about being invited to the inauguration. I gathered that Sully supports or supported Obama!:beer:

Yeah yeah, wiki says he's a registered republican. Nevertheless, at least, he's anti-Bush!:beer:)

Last edited:
You suggesting that maybe captain america shoulda been comfortable handling the restart, and let the rookie take the day vmc, light wind, 4000 ft wide river landing?
No, but when he realized they were too slow for an air start, he shoulda thought about hitting the APU bleed switch, since Sully had already started the APU. There's alot to be gained by spinning the motor faster if you want it to re-start.

Now if it had never actually shut-down on it's own, that's another matter all together.

If I were Sully, I'd have probably chosen to take it in myself, but a more experienced F/O might have made the water landing unnecessary. And then I would reiterate how much of the success of the landing was due to circumstances beyond my control.

Total fame - 15 min.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back