• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

suitable vs adequate airports?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Before 2/15/2008 an adequate airport was one that had a suitable runway and CFR. A suitable airport was an airport that was adequate, but also had weather report/mins for an enroute alternate.
Since the new ETOPS rule went into effect, the old suitable is now called adequate (i.e. runway(s), CFR, and weather). FAR's 121.7 and 121.197.
Polar Ops are as far as I'm aware is the only time you need passenger recover plans, but I didn't see anything requiring MX anywhere.

I gotta be bored if I'm looking though FAR's online! :)

121.7 is definitions.

121.624 addresses WX....sorry for missing that one

Originally the terms "adequate airport" and "suitable airport" were found in the ETOPS Advisory Circular 120-42 then 120-42A, and were as described above. An "adequate airport" is one with the physical facilities to handle the type of aircraft to be operated including runway length, firefighting facilities, etc. and a "suitable airport" was an adequate airport which meets the carriers weather criteria for an ETOPS alternate.

The AC has been superceded by new regulations,

Found this is a google search for "adequate airport"

§ 121.7 Definitions.

The following definitions apply to those sections of part 121 that apply to ETOPS:
Adequate Airport means an airport that an airplane operator may list with approval from the FAA because that airport meets the landing limitations of §121.197 and is either—
(1) An airport that meets the requirements of part 139, subpart D of this chapter, excluding those that apply to aircraft rescue and firefighting service, or
(2) A military airport that is active and operational.
ETOPS Alternate Airport means an adequate airport listed in the certificate holder's operations specifications that is designated in a dispatch or flight release for use in the event of a diversion during ETOPS. This definition applies to flight planning and does not in any way limit the authority of the pilot-in-command during flight.

Firebird...That would be an Adequate place, as opposed to Suitable, which is one where they have snow removal (if needed).

Latest resources

Back