• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

suitable vs adequate airports?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i can't find a clear definition in the far's. any ideas?

I can't remember off the top of my head where it is, but "suitable" airport should be defined as an airport where the runway is suitable for your aircraft, there is passenger protection from your airline or a partner airline, and 24 hour maintenance.

Look in the ETOPS portion of your Flight Ops Manual.

An adequate airport is an airport that can theoretically handle your airplane adequately. Sufficient runways, acceptable approaches, and the like.

A suitable airport is an adequate airport that meets CFR requirements, operational weather mins, and the like.

The way I read it, an airport must first be adequate before being suitable.

Clear As Mud?

always must be within 60 mins from adequate airport, otherwise ETOPS 75/120/138/180/207 mins from suitable airport.

we're not etops yet. we get the 777 next year. our fom gives little to no clarification. i searched the far's and can't find a clear definition.

Ahh, non ETOPS then...

Maybe look @ a definition of the ETP alternate airport. Until ETOPS, I dont think there is a federally-accepted definition; kinda like the definition of marginal - its what you (the cert holder) sez it is.

I can't remember off the top of my head where it is, but "suitable" airport should be defined as an airport where the runway is suitable for your aircraft, there is passenger protection from your airline or a partner airline, and 24 hour maintenance.

I disagree with your last two points...I dont think you include passenger protection in making that determination per FARS. And 24 hour mx? That seems restrictive as a suitable airport.

Isnt the point of a suitable airport safety? To get the plane safely on the ground in case of an emergency? If thats the case I couldn't care less about what we do with the pax or if MX is there to fix the airplane. I want that plane SAFELY on the ground at an AIRPORT where it can LAND SAFELY!

Simply just need adequate runway length, fire fightning and rescue capability. Then add and maintain required weather mins to be suitable.

Suitable - an adequate airport with weather reports or forecasts, or any combination thereof, at the time of dispatch, indicating that the weather conditions will be at or above the operating minima, as specified in the OPSSECS or Operations Certificate, and that the field condition reports indicate a safe landing can be made from one hour prior to one hour after the anticipated times of arrival

Adequate - an airport certified by the appropriate regulatory agency as one which meets the regulatory authority's safety requirements. ARFF, proper ATC facilities, runway length, strength. Must also meet weather requirements. Some areas require at least one navaid available as well.

That should help get you started

Latest resources

Back