• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ImbracableCrunk

Unregistered Un-User
The Associated Press January 13, 2009, 8:07AM ET

Suit filed over fumes from Alaska Airlines plane

SEATTLE
An Alaska Airlines passenger is suing the airline over injuries she says she suffered when deicer fumes entered an aircraft at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport on Christmas Eve.
Paramedics treated 25 people who were on an Alaska Airlines plane. Deicer fumes made their way onto the plane and irritated the eyes of passengers and the crew.
An attorney for passenger Arianna Morgan says she still feels the effects of that exposure and suffers numbness in her hands and fatigue.
The lawyer says the airline had a duty to ensure ventilation systems were closed during deicing.
The lawsuit was filed Monday in federal court in Seattle.
Airline spokeswoman Caroline Boren says the company is concerned about passenger welfare and is reviewing the complaint.
All 143 passengers boarded another plane and continued to Burbank, Calif.

Of course they're going to sue, this is America. We don't let a money making opportunity go by. We'll be damned if we just sit there and let something like that go when we could be making some cash.

Continental is also beig sued over the Denver accident.

It pisses me off when say "its all about getting answers, not the money"

Yet she was on her way to LA of all places. SMOG central. I wouldn't be surprised if she lived in LA her whole life breathing in car exhaust.

!Pienso que ésta es mierda!

Oh My... There is a higher concentration of this stuff in my shaving cream! Who can I sue?

Propylene glycol is used:An unfortunate (but direct) side effect of Alaska's customer service is the general knowledge amongst those in the tort profession that they pay claims easily and generously. Defending this would cost a lot of Experts' and Doctor fees, while the Plaintiff would probably bring her "Massage Therapist" to testify and win with a jury that was only 40% literate (at least in English).

Last edited:
!Pienso que ésta es mierda!

Oh My... There is a higher concentration of this stuff in my shaving cream! Who can I sue?

Propylene glycol is used:An unfortunate (but direct) side effect of Alaska's customer service is the general knowledge amongst those in the tort profession that they pay claims easily and generously. Defending this would cost a lot of Experts' and Doctor fees, while the Plaintiff would probably bring her "Massage Therapist" to testify and win with a jury that was only 40% literate (at least in English).

Hmmm. I don't know about your logic, Fins. I drink water, and most people would say it's harmless, but I don't want it in my lungs. And don't get me started on the hazards of DHMO!

Some info we've been given from the union is that if the glycol is misted and inhaled (say through an APU and a pack), it's more dangerous.

Wow, I had that stuff on my face. Then washed it off with water.

Look up etheylene glycol. Its a little more toxic.

so what happened there anyway. Did they forget to turn off the packs and bleeds during de-icing? Or turn them on too early afterward?

The E190...all bleeds/packs are off. Then 1 min after spraying stops, bleeds on...then 3 mins after spraying the packs come back on. I don't know the procedure for the 737.

Latest resources

Back