Suggestions for SWA 737 Rolling overnight bag

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnnyV

What rolling pilot overnight bags are offered at SWA new hire training & are they the best to go with? Are there any good alternatives ie..better, cheaper, roomier?

Thx, JV

We don't really have a 'regulation' bag. During new hire class you'll see a display in the training center lounge by Purdy Neat Things... those heavy black roller bags with the SWA logo on them as well as your name or monogram. I've had probably 5 of those bags. They have a long handle, so if you're tall, it's a comfortable pull. They're like $270.

Those bags are a little maintenance prone though. The 737-300 bag compartment in the cockpit is about a milimeter too small, so the side pockets tend to get snagged and the side zippers rip easily. Especially if there are any metal nubs or sharp ends in there.

The 737-700 cockpit is not a problem because it's a little bigger.

A lot of the FA's and I'm seeing more pilots now are using the Costco bag. It's like $70 and is warranteed for life.

I have both bags. The PNT bag is a little more useful and generally is stronger, except for the few shortcomings I mentioned. I'm having mine reconditioned and having them replace the thin zippers on the sides and pouches with the big heavy duty zippers on the main part of the bag.

Your bag will get dropped,dragged, piled on, stacked, trampled, sat upon, crushed, and generally abused. If I had to choose one over the other, the PNT bag with the logo would be the one. Just have something in reserve if you have to send yours in for mx.

Thanks for the reply. Some buddies told me they offer a short & a long version of the Purdy. Do you think the long version would further complicate problems in the -300?

Thx, JV

The PNT bags are warranteed 100% for the first three years. I have three of these bags (two roll-aboards, one laptop bag), one of them I've had since 1995 and it's still kicking.

During the first three years they fixed every single problem I ever had (zippers, handle, everything) and it didn't cost me a dime. After that I've spent about $30 - $50 a year on it, less now that I've invested in the stainless steel handle instead of the black aluminum one (much stronger). Last repair I went to the stopover store in MSP and they replaced / rethreaded three zippers for me and it cost me all of $20 bucks (he said I was in the running for the oldest bag contest). :)

There's also a new company out that is based (loosely) on the same design, better handles that completely recess into the bag and they're ALL heavy-duty zippers, costs about $100 less... can't remember the name of the bag, if you want to know PM me and I'll ask around (I think they have ads up in our crew room).

Either way, look for what's called the "737" bag or the 13-Inch bag, that's the one that fits in the overheads of even the CRJ and in the 737 flight deck storage bin.

Enjoy training! :D

The PNT bag(www.luggageworksonline.com) is the best out there, as far as I'm concerned. I have had one for 8 years now, and it's still working great. I had to have the handle replaced and some of the plastic bumpers(that protect the bags frame when you drag it up a curb). The handle was done for free, even though my bag was a couple years out of warranty.

For SWA type trips(3-4 days), get the normal size(22 or 23" tall). I have the international(27" tall) since I go on 7+ day trips.

The travelpro Flight Crew 3422E has lots of room and fits in the 737-800
cockpit. I paid 139.99 at their outlet store in Boca Raton, FL, supposedly
retail is about $ 300.
Don't have their phone number handy, but check their website.

AA 737 pilot

I got the steath ng bag from PNT and the pockets still snagged, as a result I now leave the pockets empty. You'll want the short version of the bag, I think the long one will stick out into the isle. Overall I like the PNT bag even though it's really heavy. I pulled a costco bag for a day and it was a bunch lighter. I will probably just buy the costco bag when the PNT poops out.

Echo that on keeping the side pockets empty.

I spoke to PNT a couple of weeks ago and they're going to replace all those girly zippers with heavy duty ones. Hopefully they will last longer.

I have a Stealth NG.

If I had it to do again (I suppose I will in a few years), I'd buy a bag that costs a third as much, weighs a third as much and will last a third as long. In other words, I'd rather have a lower quality bag that doesn't weigh as much as a UAL Transpac F/A, and have to buy three of them over the same life of one of these heavy Luggageworks things. Just my .2

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back