• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PacoPollo said:
I thought the PA44 was ETOPS certified...[/quote

]
Well, yes....if ETOPS means Engines Turning Or People Swimming.

Glad they are ok even if they are on a slow boat to China.

falconvalley said:
West coast to Hawaii is approx 2000 miles

It depends upon where you coast out. If you leave SOCAL towards HI then there'll be a point where your closer divert is KSFO. It's kind of odd; you think of Hawaii being to the South, and it is, yet if you punch up a "closest airports" from a GPS or FMC when flying LAX to HI, then sure enough KSFO is there before a return to LAX.

This may be due to the northerly offset when flying a great circle to HI out of LAX, combined with the CA coast poking westward as you go north along the coast. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem logical.

Sure thing, but either way, she was 1000 miles from Hawaii. She certainly looked at all the factors, some of which we may not be aware of, and elected to continue.

NewBlue said:
Well, yes....if ETOPS means Engines Turning Or People Swimming.

Glad they are ok even if they are on a slow boat to China.

Well done! :laugh:

It's about 2200 miles to SFO and 2400 miles to LAX.

If nothing else, I'd continue SW bound towards Hawaii because the sea surface temp rises rapidly towards Hawaii. If I was contemplating the possibility of spending any time in the water at all, I'd find the warmest I could. A map of sea surface temps is here.

Jack from 24 was picked up and put on a Chinese boat on the last episode. I wonder if it is the same boat? Maybe the pilot can find Jack and solve what is going to happen before the next season.

... and make their escape by hijacking a helicopter from the ship and land again on the EMERGENCY RUNWAY at VNY!!!! That would be so realistic!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back