Succeeding in AFROTC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Physicx, et al,

I just separated from active duty last summer after almost 10 years (I had an 8 year UPT commitment). I walked across the street to the reserve unit as a fully qualifed guy, as many of my buddies had done before me, and I must say the difference is night and day. My reserve unit now is what I had always hoped my active duty units would be, but never were. Best part time job in the world, and with SCHEDULE STABILITY to boot. So, to answer your question, had I KNOWN about the guard/reserve flying program, I certainly would have done it instead of active duty.

I did the 4 year ROTC thing, changed my major to underwater basket weaving to boost my grades, tried to participate in ROTC and extracurricular stuff as much as I could, got my private ticket when I was a sophomore (to show "intent"), and crossed my fingers to get a pilot slot (after I signed....gulp) - amazingly it worked. In the early 90's, there were very few slots to be had. I assume it's coming full circle now 10+ years later, with many folks staying in because of the disaster airline industry.

I was a little different than some I suppose, in that my intent had ALWAYS BEEN to separate after my 8 year commitment and go airlines. I knew this before I ever even joined ROTC (although I kept this VERY quiet). I wanted to get out of UPT and fly something big that had 4 engines, in order to make me attractive to the airlines (although in hindsight this is probably less important than I originally thought). I can still remember the day I showed up to UPT and met the guard/reserve guys in my class (and found out they actually flew airplanes too)........ Me: "let me get this straight - you already know what you're going to fly when we graduate, you know were you'll be based, you'll never have to move, you can get an airline job as soon as you're competitive (or any other job you feel like), you can set your own schedule and take as much or little time off as your bank account will allow, you'll never have a desk job you don't want, you don't have to put up with active duty BS, and......most of the guys in your unit are airline pilots already so you'll have a hookup at most any company you'll want to apply to?".......Them: "yup".

That being said, there are a few upsides to active duty. The job is about as secure and the paycheck as steady as they come, and you start to collect retirement at age 42, vice age 60 for the reservists. Medical and dental is provided.

The above is just my experience. I certainly wish I would have been clued in to the guard/reserve before I went active, but in the end life goes on. Your milage may vary, and I encourage you to weigh your OWN desires. If you know ANYONE in the guard/reserve, you owe it to yourself to at least talk to them before you decide (neighbor, relative, parents friends, guy at the FBO, etc). Flying and the military have always been a JOB for me, not a "way of life" as they say. I already have my own life, and the AF reserve allows me to live it the way I see fit, and allows me to pay the bills doing it. Active duty spouts "service before self".....and they mean it.

Last edited:
PSYSICX,

I dittoeverything Moose wrote. I like active duty, but it is not my life. They want it to be your life. When you are deployed 1000 days in 6 years the important things in your life become apparent. For me, it is my family. As I near the end of my committment, I am hoping to do exactly what Moose did. I wish I had done it straight out of college.

Last edited:
I am looking at getting on with a reserve unit to increase my chances.I hope at that time there will still be an opportunity to bum around.Thanks again.

Latest resources

Back