• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mogus

Eh?
Hey,
I am enrolled in the AFROTC Detachment 860 at Utah State University. I'm a freshman majoring in electrical engineering. My goal is to be awarded a pilot slot. Could anyone provide me some guidance and insight on how to be a successful cadet and to be a competitive pilot slot candidate? Thank you very much.

Well I've got a little insight on this one. I did two semesters of AFROTC as a junior. I never contracted and decided to go another route. (I've got another thread about 6 or 7 down on this page.) Had I contracted I would have been in the two year POC program.

Most Air Force pilots come out of ROTC. In recent years they passed up the academy for total pilot selectees per year. You apply for a pilot slot in the spring of your second to last year of school. Pilot selection is based 50% off of commander's reccomendations, then grades, then PCSM score, and AFOQT scores.

You must be contracted before you apply, and you've got but one shot at it. If you don't get picked up, that's it, you're doing something else as an officer in the Air Force. At my old Det last year 11 applied, 3 got it. Year before that, 4 applied 1 got it.

Now as a technical major they may throw some scholarship money at you, but you've got to be contracted to get it. Keep in mind it may or may not help you in getting a pilot slot. I saw a history major with a PCSM of 25 get selected over an engieneer with a PCSM of 95 who got turned down. Go figure.

Incidentaly, I was at Det 850, about 40 miles South of where you're at. I'm at the U of U.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Here's what you must do

Hi,

I knew nothing about aviation when I was in AFROTC and could have used the following advice. Do the following and I guarantee you'll get a UPT slot some day. I am an active duty pilot and was a former security police officer before getting into flight school. I also worked in the HQ for AFROTC SW Region and worked the ROTC/UPT boards.

1. Get the highest GPA possible. You'll want to have at least a 3.25 but the higher the better.
2. Get flight experience before taking the Bat test. The BAT test is a weird simulator the USAF uses to gauge your flying potential and you can only take it once. You can retake your AFOQT once but will need a waiver for a third test (I took it 3 times between being a freshman and a 1st Lt on active duty.) If you can not afford flight training, then make certain you memorize the private pilot written exam study guides.
3. Be a positive contributor to your Det. Once a semester ask to meet with your CoC or Det CC and ask for feedback and mentoring. This is not sucking up!!
I guarantee you'll get a pilot slot if you have a 3.2, a private pilot license, and an AFOQT pilot score > 50 (which will not be hard to get if you take the AFOQT again after you get your private license. I hope this helps.

Can't help you much with ROTC, but if you're determined to fly, go to the academy, get a 2.1 gpa as a management major, and then go fly. Just a suggestion.

Sorry for the short and sweet comment yesterday, I was in a little hurry.

First of all I was in ROTC at Embry Riddle and quit to enlist in the CA ANG. This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. Ask yourself what is more important, being a pilot no matter what?, or getting college paid for and taking a gamble at getting a pilot slot by putting your life at the hands of the politicians in active duty? I chose the first answer and it has been the best thing I ever did. If you join a guard unit, work with them on drill weekends and summers, they will get to know you really well. Be a great guy and convey that you really want to fly for them. By the time you graduate, if you are a great guy I guarantee your unit will select you. Not only that but you can pick a unit with aircraft that you want to fly, whether it be F-16's, C-130's, or pick where you want to live your early years in life. I saw so much cuthroating go on at UPT with guys competing for an aircraft and even saw guys cry when they get a helicopter instead of a T-38 to get fighter qualified. It was so great not having to deal with all that.

I got selected for a pilot slot with my unit and saw about 90% of my buddies in my UPT class that were either ROTC or Academy guys wish they went to the guard or reserves. So many of them are truly bummed about being committed for ten years with the definate chance of getting a desk assigment for 3 of those 10 years. Now if you want to be a career guy and do 20 years then go for it. Most guys now a days want to get into an airline asap, and fear being stuck in a ten year commitment while a hiring boom comes and goes. In the guard and reserves, you can get that airline job right after UPT if you have the minimum time requirements.

I have been back from UPT for almost 2 years now and it habe been great. I live at the beach, fly just as much as some of my active duty friends and have already upgraded to the left seat unlike many of my active counterparts. I just hired by a regional airline and my life goals seem to slowly be falling into place.

I don't want to be to biased so here are a few downfalls. Yes your income is not steady like active duty. I do pretty well, you just need to budget and guard bum as much as possible. You also do not have the medical benefits that you do in active duty (one reason I am probably going to take this regional job). Well bud I wish you luck and just follow your heart. I hope I am able to just give you a different perspective.
PM me if you have any more??'s

I'd Double Check That

Jafar said:
"...and you've got but one shot at it. If you don't get picked up, that's it, you're doing something else as an officer in the Air Force....

I don't think that's correct. I heard the same thing when I was in ROTC at UConn and there was only one slot available that year. I figured my chances were nil so I went Army instead. Later I found out that the pendulum shifted as it always does and the USAF needed to fill seats again. So navs, missile officers, commo guys, whatever, who were otherwise qualified as previously could resubmit their paperwork and could and did get picked up for UPT.

If I had known that then, I wouldn't have sweated not getting picked up at graduation knowing that I could always reapply later after doing something else in a squadron for a year or two or three.

Also, there's a lot to be said for having a 20 year career at 50% retirement pay that no bankruptcy court can touch. True, you won't necessarily be on flight status every assignment but you will have a lot of other advantages, especially if you want some security for your family.

Foties summed it up well. If you have to sign on the dotted line before you get your slot, I'd think twice. Things to weight are: how important is being on active duty? do you just want to fly or is pounding ground okay for 4 years, if you don't get a pilot slot?
In my humble opinion, flying in the guard/reserves is the best gig out there. You can just be a pilot in the guard/reserve. The drawbacks of going guard/reserve is that you'll be part time after a year or so after you check into your unit. That means no bennies for your dependents and no steady pay checks. You can be a reserve/guard bum and still make a living though. In short, look into the reserve/guard and save yourself a headache. I wish someone had told me about the guard/reserve when I was a young buck. Good luck!

Some current info.
I am a POC now and here is my take on it.
You can now take the BAT twice. This changed within the last 6 months.

If you don't get pilot right away there is still a chance of getting picked up. For instance, 2 semesters ago, 8 out of 9 that applied got it and the 9th got a nav slot. By the end of the semester he got bumped up to pilot. Also, from speaking with many active duty guys, there are picking the better navs for pilot. Others on this forum should be able to elaborate on this.

Also, what Jafar was saying is right on.

I will know in March if I got a slot so contact me then and I will let you know what I hopefully did right to get one, or wrong to not get one.

Also if you would like any more ROTC info just PM me.

JS

Latest resources

Back