Stupid W&B Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

seattle

I probably should know this, but........

What FAR tells me I have to have a weight and balance in the airplane for part 91 operations?

Thanks.

Seattle

Hey Seattle,
I believe its under part 91 something or other titled, "Safe and thorough preflight action". Then if you screw up and crash, you get cited under the other part 91 area that talks about "Careless and wreckless operations". Sorry, I've forgotten specifically, but as I recall it was something like that.

Jason

There is nothing specific saying you have to do a weight and balance but you have to " determine " that you will be within all limitations. So, if an inspector were to ramp check you and he asks how do you know you comply with all the limitations (Max takeoff weight, max ramp weight, C.G. within operating envelope, ect...) in your aircraft flight manual you better be able to show something. If not and you are exceeding any limitation they can nail you with violating 91.9 (see Below) and our favorite 91.13 careless and reckless operation.

91.9 Civil aircraft flight manual, marking, and placard requirements.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, no person may operate a civil aircraft without complying with the operating limitations specified in the approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual , markings, and placards, or as otherwise prescribed by the certificating authority of the country of registry.

I hope this answers your question.

Deltoid

Last edited:
Thanks guys and gals. Just one of those questions you think about while working towards the CFI.

§ 91.103 Preflight action.
Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with ALL available information concerning that flight.

Where the regulation says all, it really does mean all.

Latest resources

Back