Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Study Finds Opening Love Field to Long-Haul flying would have Serious Conserquences

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Part II

Besides, a deal is a deal. And this one was a good deal.

A guy named Jim Wright has no proprietary ownership of this agreement. It was a compromise hammered out by a lot of people. Equally fair to everyone, it treats all airline carriers alike.

I don't have a current figure on just how much has been invested in D/FW Airport, but I'll assure you of this: It's well into the billions. And I can't tell you how exactly much it has brought to the economies of our neighboring counties, but this is certain: It's in the multiple billions!

Every resident of North Texas has a big investment in D/FW Airport and both a financial and civic interest in its future.

Sometimes I wish I were as wise as Solomon. Then maybe I'd know how to make everybody happy with our human efforts to compromise and get along. Unfortunately, Solomon was not on the faculty at Weatherford College or the University of Texas when I was a student at those institutions.

Who knows? Even if I had enrolled in his course, I might have flunked it.

My God man, now you're quoting Jim Wright, a politician! I hope you aren't drug tested at your current employer. Jim Wright:laugh: what a f*cking moron.

canyonblue said:
My God man, now you're quoting Jim Wright, a politician! I hope you aren't drug tested at your current employer. Jim Wright:laugh: what a f*cking moron.
All you can do Cayonblue is ask stupid questions and hurl insults with nothing else to contribute. At least I am quoting a politician that was there and helped craft the law.

If you really want the Wright Amendment to be repealed then you better consider the consequences that DAL could be shut down. The Wright Amendment was the only way that DAL was going to stay open.

Throw your dice on the table then. Maybe it will turn up snakes eyes.

You arethe one that was stating I didn't know the history. Seems to me I know a heck of alot more than you do.

I bet you can't even state a few reasons why the Wright Amendment should be repealed.

Last edited:
Liar eh?

Dangerkitty said:
Total and complete BS. Your ex-CEO Herb had a big part in establishing and signing off on the Wright Amendment. The Wright Amendment was started to make an exception for SWA so they wouldn't have to move to DFW like all the other airlines did.

I dont know where you are getting your information but it is totally inaccurate.

No, your spin is BS. Read this:

House Majority Leader Jim Wright, without notice, without hearings, and without opportunity for public comment or informed debate, attached an amendment that banned any airline from engaging in interstate air commerce from Love Field to an unrelated bill. The U.S. Senate refused to go along, and forced a compromise, today's Wright Amendment, whose admitted purpose is to protect DFW Airport (and the airlines which serve it) from competition.

Additionally, there was no exception in the wright amm to allow WN to operate, it was used only to restrict LUV operations. Deregulation guaranteed that WN could do what it wanted from LUV. The Wright Amm was bought by AA to restrict our growth. No where does it say we agreed to this, no where did we sign up, zip, nadda, ziltch... Read the words "forced compromise". Sometimes when you have a gun to your head you don't fight to hard. We did not sign anything. Now it's time to change. Now we have our own guns...

Your argument saying we should have complained earlier, well we did, just not loud enough. Now we are, you'll get over it.

Dangerkitty said:
All you can do Cayonblue is ask stupid questions and hurl insults with nothing else to contribute.

That's my job here.:smash: Just because it made sense in the 1970's doe's not mean it should still be in effect today. You want Amendments? You probably would have argued against the 13th Amendment. Why not, a deal is a deal.:rolleyes:

Dangerkitty said:
No gun was put to SWA's head.

SWA helped craft the agreement. Why dont you ask Herb?
If we'd been forced out of LUV, we'd have been forced out of business. That is a pretty big gun to me.

It is anti competetive, anti consumer ad unjust. Buh Bye

Forget the Wright ADM for now. Why don't we say what this fight is all about? I could care less about either AA or SWA but I do live in North Texas and have all my life. It boils down to the fact that Southwest is scared to move onto AA's turf at DFW. AA knows that SWA would kick the living crap out of their all ready bad finacial situation and would chip away at their monopoly of screwing the traveling public of the DFW metroplex. They must keep SWA in check or risk serious finacial erosion. SWA on the otherhand, is scared of a fight with a giant like AA. They know AA would attack them on every route they would fly out of DFW and it would not be worth the fight right now to take that road. Southwest's argument of DFW is total BS. I fly out of PHL and they don't seem to have a problem with that. They also fly out of both airports in Houston. SWA needs to either compete, or shut the hell up and play by the rules like everyone else and AA needs to quit crying and holding the people of Texas, and the surrounding states by the throat by threatining to shut off service to the smaller communities. They fly you mainly because they have to, not because they want to.

canyonblue said:
My God man, now you're quoting Jim Wright

You've been quoting Herb Kelleher and Colleen Barrett after drinking the kool aid from the LUV goblet.

The Wright Ammendment came to pass when WN started flying out of state for the first time, to MSY. If Southwest wants to repeal a law, then its only right that Southwest re-imburse all of the carriers for being forced to relocate to DFW, adjusted for inflation plus interest.

scoreboard said:
No, your spin is BS. Read this:

House Majority Leader Jim Wright, without notice, without hearings, and without opportunity for public comment or informed debate, attached an amendment that banned any airline from engaging in interstate air commerce from Love Field to an unrelated bill. The U.S. Senate refused to go along, and forced a compromise, today's Wright Amendment, whose admitted purpose is to protect DFW Airport (and the airlines which serve it) from competition.

Additionally, there was no exception in the wright amm to allow WN to operate, it was used only to restrict LUV operations. Deregulation guaranteed that WN could do what it wanted from LUV. The Wright Amm was bought by AA to restrict our growth. No where does it say we agreed to this, no where did we sign up, zip, nadda, ziltch... Read the words "forced compromise". Sometimes when you have a gun to your head you don't fight to hard. We did not sign anything. Now it's time to change. Now we have our own guns...

Your argument saying we should have complained earlier, well we did, just not loud enough. Now we are, you'll get over it.

SWA could have moved to DFW just like every other airline was forced to.

The Wright Amendment was a compromise that allowed SWA to operate out of Luv with restrictions.

If SWA wants to fly outside of the state of Texas then it can do it out of DFW just like every other carrier is forced to.

It's as plain and simple as that.

What in the heck are you talking about when you say I will get over it. I don't even fly for AA anymore and I am not going back. I just call a spade a spade.

You guys agreed to a deal 30 years ago and now you want it changed. Sorry it's not in the cards. Either fly out of DFW or continue to fly out of Love with it's restrictions.

Latest resources

Back