student looking for aviation insight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi all -

Thanks so much for everyone's input - I really appreciate your taking the time to help a budding flyer....

I'm at the pinacle trying to choose a new life path, hence I'm gathering as much info as possible from people like yourself so I can get a REALISTIC idea of what lies ahead. One of my greatest concerns is my age though - at 29, (from what I understand) it's not too late, but I guess that means I won't be earning a reasonable pay check for another 5 years? Oh well, everyone has to pay thier dues....

The mins seem a bit confusing to me though... CL60, you mention 4-5k, though I see alot of profiles on this board for pro jet pilots w/ alot less? "Right time/right place????" 4-5k sounds like forever, but can you knock that off at a decent pace? Some folks have told me that airline guys log ALOT more hrs and do so consistently.... Do regionals offer any advantage, or should I stay away since I have NO interest in commercial as a final goal?

-----------------------------------------

RE: schools
I too have heard nothing but good things about FSI, except for the fact that grads are NOT getting the CFI slots now - in fact the pool sounds quite large. So, if I go to FSI and get my CFI tkts, but have no FSI job at the end, I'm looking at teaching back at my FBO --- the fear in that is it may take 50 years at an FBO to log the TT let alone ME time before I can even think about an ATP and a turboprop job.... Am I way off base here or what? I have really come around in my approach to becoming a CFI and in fact look forward to the experience, BUT do not want to spend eternity there.

SO - another interesting option for training is ATP (in SAC). For about $5k less than FSI, I can get the following:

Private Single-Engine
Private Multi-Engine
Instrument Multi-Engine
Commercial Multi-Engine
Commerical Single-Engine
Certified Flight Instructor:
- Multi-Engine
- Instrument Airplane
- Single-Engine
High Altitude Endorsement (Citation)
High Performance Endorsement (Citation)

Which will leave me with the following times:

285 Hours Logged Time
190 Hours Multi-Engine Time
75 Hours Multi-Engine X-Country
62 Hours Multi-Engine Dual/Checks
3 Hours Citation 501 Jet
50 Hours Multi-Engine FTD
95 Hours Single-Engine Time

(http://www.allatps.com/ACPP/index.html)

When comparing that to FSI, you only get 55hrs multi (105hrs single). PLUS the following are ADD-ONS:
Commerical Single-Engine
Certified Flight Instructor:
- Multi-Engine
- Instrument Airplane
- Single-Engine

(http://www.flightsafetyacademy.com/career.htm)

Though I have heard that they will pay for your CFI tkts (after the initial) if you get a job w/FSI(?). Also, I don like the fact that FSI gives you 4 hrs of Unusual Attitude/Spin Recovery (but you can always get this on your own too).

-----------------------------------------

OK - so to me ATP is very appealing since not only is it cheaper, but it includes EVERYTHING (even housing). Now, having said that, I know course cost and time (needless to say ATP bases this on FAR mins - gulp!) are not the end all to selecting a training facility. From everything I've read/heard, FSI is truly top notch. Some pro pilots out there still tell me that while it might be nice to go there, in the end it really doesn't matter where you go for your primary ratings - any thoughts? Any opinions on ATP and thier programs???? Too good to be true? Too accelerated to make a good pilot?

...well, still mulling things over! Sorry for the long post. and Thanks again!

PS - CL60 can you explain in greater detail what you mean by "good deal " and "fortune job".... Not entirely clear on your last post

information

21Foxtrot,

In corporate aviation there are various levels of flying jobs that graduate from the single airplane "T" hangar operation to the pinnacle of corporate aviation, Fortune jobs. (Fortune 500, 100, and 50 jobs). The top end Fortune flying jobs are literally the best corporate pilot jobs in the world. The compensation, bonuses, benefits, and retirement packages are, in many cases, better than going to a major airline if you average the total dollars out over a 20 or 30 year career.

Here's a list of the top 500 American companies based on annual revenues. I've worked for several of them and interviewed with a few more. It is a great life and the security is better than most flying jobs. Obviously, there were Enron and Global Crossing jobs out there that were not so great. Who could have forseen that? Its a chance we all have to take with any job.

http://www.fortune.com/lists/F500/index.html

All of my F500 jobs have offered excellent salaries to start, signing bonuses, an extra months salary up front, annual bonuses, full health benefits, pension plan, 401K, and fantastic relocation package among all the other bennies we get. I've corresponded with several other Fortune pilots on this message board and they have similar or better situations than I do. It just depends on the individual companies and management.

When I refered to a "good deal" I meant that some people get into non-Fortune flying jobs that treat them very well and are professionally run. Sorry about the ambiguity.

As far as the flight times I quoted to you, these are the basic minimums that I've had to meet in my Fortune jobs. It all depends on supply and demand. I got lucky with my first F500 job at around 4200 hours. They wanted 5,000 but I had a great deal of jet time logged and had lots of corporate and international experience. If you decide to instruct for a while in order to build time, try to log around 1,000 hours a year if you can. Multi-engine instruction is the most beneficial to you.

Don't sweat the school issue, just get quality training and get your certificates.

Hope this helps.

Never give up.

Latest resources

Back