Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

waka

Emasculating the Right
I've heard tidbits of how skydivers can sometimes be pretty arrogant, i.e. telling the pilot how to fly, condescension etc.. Does this happen very much?

My experience flying jumpers was quite the opposite. Many would ask me if they could do certain things, but it was all with respect, they helped me when I needed it and I helped them.

As both a jumper and a jump pilot, I haven't run across the attitudes described by the original poster.

I've heard tidbits of how skydivers can sometimes be pretty arrogant, i.e. telling the pilot how to fly, condescension etc.. Does this happen very much?

My experiance was the exact opposite. Jumpers are a fun (and slightly crazy) bunch. Really nice guys.

Drop them in the wrong spot forcing the to land out, and you WILL be coughing up for a lot of beer. ;)

In my time flying jumpers I met a few "Sky Gods"(ie. the know it all a$$) that knew just enough info about flying to be dangerous, but you have those people in every group. For the most part the folks I lifted regularly were very cool guys/gals, and great to party with.

Jumpers are usually smart enough to not screw with the person that gets them to altitude.

Happened all the time. I flew jumpers for 3 years. C182, 206, 208's. I dealt with a handful of regular fun jumpers and one or two tandem instructors, that frequented our drop zone, who thought they were god's gift and loved giving me a hard time. After 100's of flights and them finally getting comfortable with me, we became buddies. I had to earn thier respect. After a several scary moments including a guy hitting the tail, a seat belt strap getting caught around a dude's leg, a bird strike, and 3 engine failures we all came around. We knew we could trust each other.

Those was some of the best times I had. Boogies, sport events, ferrying the airplanes around, and hours n hours of video containing the greatest things in life; booze, boobies, and airplanes.

Last edited:
Just remember, you are in charge of your flight, not the jumpers. If they want you to do something illegal or unsafe, its YOUR ticket and life, so tell them to screw off.

Some drop zones are good places, and some you need to stay away from. And dont let your jumpers come down through clouds, no matter how much they want to be a dolphin.

I was a jumper in the 70's and never did see any of this. I can remember 3 different jump pilots who never had anything other than an old student liscense. Some had ATP and most jumpers didn't know the difference or care. I can think of many wild and interesting things from that time.
I have flown jumpers, not full time, and if you seem like one of the guys you'll fit in. They like to have fun.

I had maybe two people out of several thousand that were complete a$$ hats. One was a "super" pilot who was literally screaming at me while the door was open in a 182 because he didn't like my approach to airport. That was about the worst of it. One problem I battled is that a lot of jumpers will gladly exercise poor judgement when it comes to weather conditions if you let them. You just have to have a spine and know when to say no, consistantly. Fly smooth and safe, earn everyone's trust, and everything else is cream cheese. oh, and lots of free beer. and if your're lucky, you'll get the launch codes to some decent mammary missiles. did I mention free beer?:beer:

I'd rather have the mammary missle codes, but beer is good too.

Latest resources

Back