Strike Vote Called For at NetJets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Live4flyng said:
Ok, then why are you flying sell-off trips for Netjets if you despise them so much?

O.K., you can't read either... :rolleyes: I don't fly NetJets' sell-offs but there's other aircraft on our same certificate that do. Like I said before NONE of the pilots on those aircraft (and yes I've asked them ALL) are going to deny ANY charter (including NetJets). This is a particularly interesting fact because all of the aircraft are managed airplanes in which each department has their own Chief Pilot that would theoretically have the power to deny. So this proves to me that NOONE is going to honor this threat... Sounds like that collective, "up yours" to me that I forecast.

As for the percentages that I spoke of earlier. Trying to compare us two is definately an apples/oranges deal. The percentages salary plays to the overall equation DOES play a part (how much is just symantics). Like I said before, we're typically in the 15-20% of total cost of operations so obviously it sticks out pretty big on the spreadsheet. So your salaries might not be the deal breaker, but when your trying to keep things in house every little bit helps.

h25b said:
As for the percentages that I spoke of earlier. Trying to compare us two is definately an apples/oranges deal. The percentages salary plays to the overall equation DOES play a part (how much is just symantics). Like I said before, we're typically in the 15-20% of total cost of operations so obviously it sticks out pretty big on the spreadsheet. So your salaries might not be the deal breaker, but when your trying to keep things in house every little bit helps.

To beat a dead horse.... This is just not true.

If a flight department is replaced with a QuarterShare... The savings in pilot salaries is not significant compared to the aquisition cost savings of a $5 million quartershare compared to the $19 million whole airplane for a CE-750. Its the $14 million difference and the Cost of Capital. 1.4 million/yr appreciation on that $14 million if invested in something returning 10%

In this situation I could be earning 3 or 4 times what you are paid and it still is better to go with a 1/4 share than full ownership.

Alternatively for the cost of owning and operating a Citation V maybe an owner could ride in a G-IV or a Falcon instead. Or be able to Upgrade or downgrade depending upon the needs of the trip instead of owning multiple types of aircraft.

Its OK if you don't like me because I fly fractional... just don't kid yourself about why flight departments close down. Our pay has next to nothing to do with it.

fracstar said:
No one in the real world cares about your NJA Teamster scab list.

I wish I were talking about Teasmster-only SCAB list. I am talking about the same SCAB list that floats around APA, ALPA, SWAPA, IPA... That is why this is such a big deal.

The SCAB list also will affect recall rights for pilots headed back to various majors someday. Several airlnes have specifically stated in their by-laws that no SCABS will be retained on the seniority list.

I am just trying to release information, not smear a fear campaign. We have menagement for that. Pilots can choose to support, attack, defend or verbally trash talk the SCAB policy. It is what it is. It is what it has been for several decades.

Those wishing to read up on the history of strikes and SCABS will want to go to the local bookstore and read up on "Flying the Line: Part 1" and "Flying the Line: Part 2". For the record we are all currently writing Part 3.

Those pilots wanting to get official word on the SCAB policy from ASAP/Teamsters Local 1108 should do so by contacting the office.

Here's the link for contact info.

http://www.asapflightdeck.com/contact.html

fracstar said:
So far you have been pretty successful at turning off your owners and you are now working on the entire GA community.

For the record... Owner displeasure has been directed towards NJA corporate. It has been directed towards NJA corporate for LYING to prospective owners about the compensation offered to NJA pilots and the level of happiness currently held by NJA pilots in regards to labor/management relations. LYING... pure and simple. Just to give you all an idea of the response management gives when confronted with an accusationof LYING they say that, "it's not lying if there was no intent". Owners were told in OMA at the NetJets booth that NJA pilots make up to $150,000. Those same owners were a bit upset when they walked to our demonstration outside at learned that only the top 1% of NJA pilots make that money (BBJ) and that actually the average income for us is around $45,000. We have heard salesmen tell prosective Owners that we make "Airline Pilot" salary... they forget to add the word REGIONAL to the Airline Pilot salary description. There is a HUGE play on words coming from the top here right now. We are choosing to clear the air on the issue.

We take great care of our Owners. We are professionals. The reaction in OMA during picketing from Owners is typical the reaction from Owner resposes aborad. "Shocked and appauled".

We've been lied to for years... the Owners have too but are only now realizing it.

I recommend remaining calm ... and resisting the temptation to incite people. We may not be released by the NMB and in that case there will definitely be no strike. A lot of blood pressures will have been raised for nothing.

"War is the Continuation of Politics... and Politics is the Continuation of War... by other means."

Mao Tse Tung quoting and paraphrasing Clausewitz in his Little Red Book

Brett Hull said:
It's been asked before, and I'll ask it again: Are you going to pay this pilot's bills when he gets fired for fighting your fight? Is he going to get a preferential interview with NetJets when you go back to work after a strike?

If the answer is no, well, you better get your union leadership educated and under control.

Brett,

You are a great read! I do have some Part 135 charter experience... not alot but enought to remember what it was like. I also appreciate your educational description of "the way it is". I have had "that boss" before that was fixated on money, money, money and nothing else. It's a tough position. It's a tough position over here too (understatement).

So here we are.

Do you think that preferential interviews written into a back-to-work agreement following a strike at NJA would be a desirable thing to have? If so, I would be happy to send that idea up for review. Quite honestly I think it's the very least that the pilots of NJA could do to return the favor.

Part 135 pilots do not pay Union dues so therefore would fall outside of the provisions of strike pay paid by IBT.

Like I said, this is a tough position for all involved. I would rather find solutions than point fingers on this issue.

P.S. I missed seeing you play this past season. I hope you get a good contract!

El Chupacabra said:
I recommend remaining calm ... and resisting the temptation to incite people. We may not be released by the NMB and in that case there will definitely be no strike. A lot of blood pressures will have been raised for nothing.

"War is the Continuation of Politics... and Politics is the Continuation of War... by other means."

Exactly.

FLYLOW,

Thanks! I know what I'm talking about when I'm talking about this strike stuff! ;) I'm not hitting the ice again unless I get 20% more! :D I only made $5 Mil last year and I have mouths to feed! [/Iverson] :rolleyes:

Talkin' about not knowing what you guys are smoking, those NHLPA guys must be puffing away on some good &hit. The World Series of Poker gets better ratings on ESPN than the NHL and these geniuses think they're going to get more money?

Anywho, I honestly don't know what a good answer would be. But if you guys expect the 135 guys to put their livelyhoods on the line for you, like you said, preferential interviews are the LEAST you could do. However, I think they should be completely left out of this unless they physically sit their fat a$$es in a QS airplane and hit the start button.

I understand the strike pay issue since they're not union members, but the whole jist of this argument is that you guys can't expect them to put their necks on the line for you and not get something in return. I'm sure you understand that. The unfortunate part is that there are people in a position of power who doesn't understand, or they forgot where they came from.

I wish you guys the best. I, like everyone else around here, have a friend who works with you. He flies a Citation - I think you guys have one or two of those. :D I don't want to see him and his family take a bigger financial hit than they already have. The pay in too many segments of this industry is ridiculous for what we do.

The ultimate solution if it were up to me: I'd say F*** the RLA and beginning at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow, you guys would walk. When a thousand Johnny Richboy's are dressing-down RTS because he and his mistress can't get to Barbados, I think that a contract would get done likkedy-split. Only then would they understand how unified you are.

So the union would get a fine. Big effing deal. Money well spent.

Last edited:
FLYLOW22 said:
For the record... Owner displeasure has been directed towards NJA corporate. It has been directed towards NJA corporate for LYING to prospective owners about the compensation offered to NJA pilots and the level of happiness currently held by NJA pilots in regards to labor/management relations. LYING... pure and simple. Just to give you all an idea of the response management gives when confronted with an accusationof LYING they say that, "it's not lying if there was no intent". Owners were told in OMA at the NetJets booth that NJA pilots make up to $150,000. Those same owners were a bit upset when they walked to our demonstration outside at learned that only the top 1% of NJA pilots make that money (BBJ) and that actually the average income for us is around $45,000. We have heard salesmen tell prosective Owners that we make "Airline Pilot" salary... they forget to add the word REGIONAL to the Airline Pilot salary description. There is a HUGE play on words coming from the top here right now. We are choosing to clear the air on the issue.

We take great care of our Owners. We are professionals. The reaction in OMA during picketing from Owners is typical the reaction from Owner resposes aborad. "Shocked and appauled".

We've been lied to for years... the Owners have too but are only now realizing it.

You are too new...

Dont ever think an owner gives 2 $hits about you after you give him a drink and turn to the cockpit.

If BH tells him his rates go up 1% to accomodate your raise....he will threaten to leave and suggest replacing you. You're a pilot. a driver. They act nice to you but just expect you to do your job. If you wont, they will be happy to show you the door and replace you. even over a penny.

Remember this is not airline management you are dealing with. These folks look more than 2 years down the line.

Dont ever kid yourself or let someone talk you into thinking you cant be replaced tommorrow.

I agree with some of what you said. Most of the Owners feedback that I have heard has taken issue with the fact that they have been lied to by NetJets. They also have taken issue with the rate of turnover and the effects that that has on percieved safety. They are the ones saying, "we don't care what it costs. we want you pilots compensated well and not thinkng of how you will pay your bills or tired because you have a second job". These are the two most common things said by NJA Owners... and not as a captive audience on the plane. These comments are unsolicited and numerous. Yes, they will applaude (as people who have mastered using other people's time and money to make money) the ability of the company to do the same with us... but only to a point. A lean mixture kills the engine at some point. It's time to add some fuel.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back