Strike Vote Called For at NetJets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
prpjt said:
Tony, a serious question. Are you saying that UPS as a company would be denied becoming a Fed Ex customer? I think that's what you are saying.
You are correct. During the UPS Teamsters strike of 1997, UPS did not use FedEx to move UPS freight. The UPS pilots union (IPA) supported the strike and refused to fly UPS freight. UPS freight was stuck in trucks and airplanes, in warehouses, on ramps and loading docks, etc., around the world. The only freight that was moved was moved by UPS managers.

That's not to say that savvy customers didn't flood FedEx service centers and become instant "loyal" customers of FedEx. Certainly there were many customers whose allegiances were altered.

Similarly, NetJets customers can always buy a ticket on Delta, American, or Greyhound, for that matter.

prpjt said:
I was just wondering, if this is the case, how your illustrious leader planned to carry out his plan to move boxes on pax carriers a few years back. Thanks.
Excellent observation. You've observed one of the many reasons Fred had no chance of carrying through on those threats/promises. I assure you that it was nothing more than a publicity campaign to prevent FedEx customers from abandoning FedEx as UPS customers had abandoned UPS, and a bluff to scare pilots that didn't know any better. You simply cannot do what FedEx does every night using someone else's belly freight space. Facts aside, his scare tactics worked. You should Google "Silver Anvil" 1998 FedEx and have a read. Short version: the campaign/charade landed the PR company the highest award in public relations, the presitigious Silver Anvil award given by the Public Relations Society of America. (Interestingly, IPA won an award for their campaign against UPS. Hopefully we've learned a lot since then.:))

Smoke and mirrors.

Just a Couple of Thoughts

First off, Grizz/Deisel/El Chup,
You guys might want to get a leash around Starman before he really screws the pooch for all at NJ. You might want to check his gear for that infamous "pipe" too because it sure seems like he's been taking some heavy hits lately;) .
I kinda wonder if he's really an NJA pilot or just some company troll sent here to stir the pot because his rantings are so illogical. Either way it is some pretty good entertainment for a lazy day.
As I was reading this thread I started wondering about the owners and their thoughts about a potential strike. They may not give a rat's a$$ about the crews but I'm sure most if not all are aware that their aircraft may not be available for them in the near future. I would guess that most of the owners have been in contact with the company and are making some type of contingency plans if there should be a work stoppage.

Does anyone know if there is some type of escape clause for the owners if NJA cannot perform to their contractual obligations? Seems to me that a whole bunch of "Joe Millionaire" types might just bailout on the Frac plan if a strike inconveniences them. There are many other avenues for them to pursue which are just as safe and can be less expensive than NJA. What has ASAP/SU/1108 (whatever) done to communicate to the OWNERS (besides the billboard at TEB) that they regret any possible inconvenience?
I think that Starman and the others who share his views ought to spend less time accusing the 135 guys of possible SCAB issues and more time on letting the OWNERS know how much the pilots at NJA appreciate them as loyal customers.

Last edited:
How do we know they haven't communicated their concerns to the owners? I rather think some of them have read the newspaper ads and articles, billboards, brochure and picket signs produced thus far. Were any of US told of those plans before they took place? I wouldn't underestimate the abilities or determination of SU.

I thought the answer to this question was fairly obvious, but since several of you have asked, I'll spell it out.

N O

Tony,
thats great and all but I couldn't help but notice that you failed to address the union issue. You know, the union you HAVE, and the union I DO NOT HAVE. Could you please explain to me and everyother 135 driver how it is we are suppose to refuse to fly Netjet trips if our companies book them? It sure is easy to preach "integrety" and "character" when you KNOW your not gonna get fired. Takes a real big man to refuse to fly brown boxes with that union of yours:rolleyes: .

Johnny

Last edited:
johnny taliban said:
Tony,
thats great and all but I couldn't help but notice that you failed to address the union issue. You know, the union you HAVE, and the union I DO NOT HAVE. Could you please explain to me and everyother 135 driver how it is we are suppose to refuse to fly Netjet trips if our companies book them? It sure is easy to preach "integrety" and "character" when you KNOW your not gonna get fired. Takes a real big man to refuse to fly brown boxes with that union of yours:rolleyes: .

Johnny
As ignorant of 135 operations as I have been accused of being are some of you when it comes to the operation of a union. Being a member of a union does not protect anyone from being fired. It improves the odds of getting the job back, but there's no guarantee. We've had quite a few fired.

How do you refuse to fly NetJet trips? Well, I suppose you could say, "I'm sorry, but I can't fly that trip." I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I would find it too distracting to fly struck work to be able to safely accomplish the flight. Frankly, I think safety is very important, and I would hope your employer agrees.

I don't think anybody in this thread has threatened anybody else as much as they've attempted to spell things out, inform people of what's what. Once you've got all the facts, you make your own choices, you do what your conscience dictates, and you live with what you do. Nobody said doing the right thing was always easy.

TonyC said:
As ignorant of 135 operations as I have been accused of being are some of you when it comes to the operation of a union. Being a member of a union does not protect anyone from being fired. It improves the odds of getting the job back, but there's no guarantee. We've had quite a few fired.

How do you refuse to fly NetJet trips? Well, I suppose you could say, "I'm sorry, but I can't fly that trip." I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I would find it too distracting to fly struck work to be able to safely accomplish the flight. Frankly, I think safety is very important, and I would hope your employer agrees.

I don't think anybody in this thread has threatened anybody else as much as they've attempted to spell things out, inform people of what's what. Once you've got all the facts, you make your own choices, you do what your conscience dictates, and you live with what you do. Nobody said doing the right thing was always easy.

Please, it's starting to get late and I just ate. So we're down to the old reliable, "let your conscience be your guide" huh ? I'd invite you to take a look at the 135 forum where it would seem everyone has already made up their mind. Your mental if you can't understand that. Distracting, I think most will find it entertaining.

As for a union getting a person their job back... That's not always a good thing, I reference your FedEx dudes in TLH. Only in a union shop would a guy expect to go back to work after wrecking a 727 while deviated from SOP. In case your wondering, NO I am not infallable, but I do operate my aircraft professionally at all times according to S.O.P. and would expect anyone in my department to do the same or expect to be terminated (especially if they totalled an aircraft in the process). That's all, done trying to enlighten dim skulls.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
h25b said:
As for a union getting a person their job back... That's not always a good thing, I reference your FedEx dudes in TLH. Only in a union shop could a guy go back to work after wrecking a 727 while deviated from SOP . In case your wondering, NO I am not infallable, but I do operate my aircraft professionally at all times according to S.O.P. and would expect anyone in my department to do the same or expect to be terminated (especially if they totalled an aircraft in the process) . That's all, done trying to enlighten dim skulls.:rolleyes:
Well, since you'll never make such an egregious mistake, it's easy to condemn those guys, right?? (I'd be interested to hear which part of SOP you think they deviated from.)

FedEx doesn't just fire guys for crashing airplanes. FedEx fires Captains for refusing to carry a jumpseater. FedEx fires Captains for refusing to ride on an airplane that he feels is in danger due to a typhoon overhead. FedEx fires Captains for making judgment calls based on the best available information at the time and at the place. FedEx fires Captains for taxiing too slowly. The list goes on. Don't lecture me on whether it's good or bad for a union to get a pilot's job back. You apprently have no clue.

Either way, it's not relevant to the topic at hand.

TonyC said:
Well, since you'll never make such an egregious mistake, it's easy to condemn those guys, right?? (I'd be interested to hear which part of SOP you think they deviated from.)

FedEx doesn't just fire guys for crashing airplanes. FedEx fires Captains for refusing to carry a jumpseater. FedEx fires Captains for refusing to ride on an airplane that he feels is in danger due to a typhoon overhead. FedEx fires Captains for making judgment calls based on the best available information at the time and at the place. FedEx fires Captains for taxiing too slowly. The list goes on. Don't lecture me on whether it's good or bad for a union to get a pilot's job back. You apprently have no clue.

Either way, it's not relevant to the topic at hand.

Does it matter which part of the S.O.P. they deviated from?

No, not really... This has been well covered in every CRM course I've EVER had as a proven way to bend metal/kill people. Evidently the NTSB found it relavent, it was one of their contributing factors.

FedEx doesn't just fire guys for crashing airplanes ???

From the looks of their record as of late, maybe they should. Who knows, might work.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back