• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Street Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
O.K. anyone here on the 120 make that transition? Was it hard? Advice? Tough choice for me though. 4-6 months and I may be captain here at YV but then again if the Delta acquisition goes through could be really bad over here. Between a rock and a hard place on a 4 to 6 month upgrade. I really appreciate your response.

Thank you

I've been taking a poll on that. About half say it's easy, other half say it's harder than the jet, and would be challenging to qualify left seat having never flown it. Some folks do it though. Since SKW will fire you if you flunk your initial upgrade it is a very serious proposition. Of course if you can get EMB FO as a new hire that would simplify things a lot.

Since SKW will fire you if you flunk your initial upgrade it is a very serious proposition.

Percentage that fail? How are your training department and simulator? Sounds pretty steep! If hired will they let me hold out for the 120 or is it take this aircraft or don’t waste our time. They are holding open houses in all of our domiciles. Might be an option

dude you have 2200 hours, what the hell is your problem? You know you are actually going to have to work for some things in life. WAIT YOUR TURN. YOU CHOSE TO GO TO MESA NOW LIVE WITH IT

Percentage that fail? How are your training department and simulator? Sounds pretty steep! If hired will they let me hold out for the 120 or is it take this aircraft or don’t waste our time. They are holding open houses in all of our domiciles. Might be an option

I haven't heard of a significant failure rate, only a few people go that route. I have only heard some folks say that it would be challenging.

I suspect they would give you the EMB if you asked for it...they usually put 121 types in the CRJ, but they need experienced pilots for the EMB upgrades (you need 2500 TT and 1000 turbine/crew).

Why the rush to be captain? Are looking for fast PIC? If not, a second year jet FO would make almost as much as an EMB captain and have better QOL.

Who is hiring street Captains. I am stuck in the endless spiral of Mesa and I want out. Also any info on training and QOL would be nice. I don’t have the ATP yet and I am trying to avoid paying for it.

I know about Gulfstream already but I am sort of nervous about them.

Yes I know that Mesa is currently hiring street Captains for the Dash-8 but I am currently unable to bid that equipment because I am on the CRJ.

Thank you in advance.

FWIW, a couple guys from my last gig that got furloughed without any PIC time. They both had plenty of turbine SIC, just no PIC.

Guess what? One of them spent a little over a year at GIA and is now at FedEx. The other is in training to fly 74's at a contract gig.

We can bitach and moan all day about how GIA is the scourge of the industry. But if you are going there as a street CA to get some time and get out ASAP, do it. Nothing is worse in this career than having no PIC time.

Note; Going to GIA didn't get the guy hired at FedEx. Having contacts there and somebody to sponsor him, as well as probably being a good/hireable pilot and getting through the interview is what did it. Getting the 1000 turbine PIC allowed him to fill out that portion of the app so he could do the rest.

Why the rush to be captain?

It's not as much that but leaving Mesa would be a rush or at least to have the plan in place. Going some where else would be best if it came with a fast CPT upgrade but leaving here because of the way they treat me for somewhere else that will treat me the same means that it needs to come with a fast upgrade or there is no point in leaving here. Not sure about the outcome but if U.S. Airways gets Delta we may loose big. If they don't then I might upgrade here. Either way if I leave right now it only makes sense to go somewhere where I will make CPT fast. I don't need TT I need PIC time. I am not saying that I will leave but I am researching my options. Why else would I leave here besides to make a career move or to upgrade faster?

In general I wouldn't recommend chasing a fast upgrade. If you get hired at a place that is experiencing fast upgrades, you may already be too late. Go somewhere that treats you reasonably well and you won't be as worried about upgrading.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back