• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Street CA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I apologize for not having been clear in my post. I didn't mean to inply any level of authority, I simply stated the facts as I know them. Also when you talk about the uncovered trips at interface you should consider the shear number of sick calls that we get. Plus the number of guys that just don't want to fly even though they came here knowing they were working for an airline.

Again as far as the hiring captains off the street I apologize for having not been clear in my statement. I should have started with "since I started in...."

No reason to apologize man, I'm sorry if I came across that way, just wanted to get the idea across that most people read a LOT into posts, sometimes more than the poster ever intended to say.

As far as staffing goes, I know it's not the fault of Crew Sked, just as I KNOW it's not the fault of the pilots calling in sick. Our sick ratio is HALF the industry norm; do some research on the Dept of Labor website, you'll find we call in sick MUCH less than the industry average OR the national average.

Although MANGEMENT trains you guys to think we're all lazy S.O.B.'s, take a look at how many pilots are PICKING UP as much open time as they're legal for and you'll realize that management is lying to YOU just as much as they are lying to US.

The REAL cause of all the uncovered trips is the STAFFING LEVEL that MANAGEMENT came up with to run this airline. NO OTHER AIRLINE IN THE D*MN WORLD STAFFS THIS LOW! Phil won a freakin' AWARD for being the "most efficient" operator of CRJ's in the WORLD. Everyone else staffs at 5 crews per aircraft, we staff at 4. In plain English, we staff a full 20% LOWER than ANY OTHER AIRLINE !!! How come other airlines don't do that? Answer: they don't agree with our management on staffing.

Only our management team thinks that is acceptable; we don't because it puts the onus of making this company work solely on the pilot group. One senior manager was QUOTED at a pilot meeting saying that "We don't fully utilize Junior Assignments and Extensions; we really need to concentrate on using those better". In other words, "We don't care about our pilot's days off, we just want to save money on staffing".

There's a reason pilots hate getting Junior Assigned and Extended. It's called we have families, we have prior commitments, and only want to work on our SCHEDULED days on, and be left alone on our days off. That's how a REAL airline is run. No offense to you at all, just stating the facts of the industry.

Last edited:
arthompson said:
I apologize for not having been clear in my post. I didn't mean to inply any level of authority, I simply stated the facts as I know them. Also when you talk about the uncovered trips at interface you should consider the shear number of sick calls that we get. Plus the number of guys that just don't want to fly even though they came here knowing they were working for an airline.

I see management brainwashing is alive as ever. Until you've been on the other side of the phone you'll probably never understand the Pinnacle pilot groups distaste for our crew scheduling department. This company should be happy that they employ the MOST PRODUCTIVE PILOT GROUP IN THE COUNTRY. That is irrefutable fact.

Your characterization of our pilot group being lazy couldn't be more off the mark. Once you have some experience on either side of the phone maybe you will realize this.

I never said that all the pilots didn't want to fly and I sure as hell didn't call the PILOT GROUP Lazy. I said I have had experiance with some. There is a *BIG* difference between not wanting to fly an extention, not wanting to pick up open time and not wanting to fly what you are allready scheduled. I also *HATE* junior manning people. I would rather extend (at least you're allready working) or better yet try to get someone to pick up the trip.

No I'm not a pilot, but many of my friends are at various carriers. I know what you guys go thru. There aren't alot of guys on the line that have any clue what goes on in Skd on a daily basis. I think we (like several other carriers) should send our schedulers on FAM rides so new hire schedulers can see the crews in a daily "routine", I also think that New Hires should have to come spend a day in scheduling and see what really happens.

Ahhhhh

I love the warm and fuzzy feeling in our company.. Makes me want to call in sick too... Try DX'ing at double the industry rate......

Midnight Brit
Coming to your ACAR's 4 times a week.

arthompson said:
I also *HATE* junior manning people. I would rather extend (at least you're allready working) or better yet try to get someone to pick up the trip.

-I have a buddy at PNCL...he had 8 days off in June (after junior manning). Not good.

-This past May, he was ACARS'd a messege (while in cruise) that he was being "No-Show'd" for his next flight. Think about that one.

How does that happen, Crew Scheduler?

You tell me and we'll both know. If I had to guess though I would say that he was probably reserve and refused to return a call from the company about a schedule change. With that said I find it amazing that everyone on this board "has a buddy at PCL" and knows so much about what happens at this company because there buddy works here.

The condecending <sp?> tone only works if I can pull your employee number up in the system.

Everyone else staffs at 5 crews per aircraft, we staff at 4. In plain English, we staff a full 20% LOWER than ANY OTHER AIRLINE !!!

Actually, at my LCC (AirTran) we have 12 pilots on the list for each aircraft (6 crews). Of course, that includes Management pilots, LOA, MIL leave, in training, etc, but still at least 11 pilots per plane, and that's a LCC!

arthompson said:
If I had to guess though I would say that he was probably reserve and refused to return a call from the company about a schedule change.

He was on reserve, but the flight he was being ACARS'd for was to leave in 5 minutes

arthompson said:
...I find it amazing that everyone on this board "has a buddy at PCL" and knows so much about what happens at this company because there buddy works here.

When you have over 1,200 pilots, there is a good chance that many people know a few at PNCL. The aviation world is very small.

Latest resources

Back