• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Goose Egg

Big Jens
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had any idea of how much/what kind of time one would need to be insurable under Part 91 (just plain old 91, not subpart K) as single pilot PIC on a PC-12. Just curious because of this little entreprenuerial pipe dream I'm having. Any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Goose

Last edited:
I know with our company, our insurance requires 1000 in the Caravan before moving in to the PC-12. I'd say if you have 1000-1500 PT-6 you should be good, with rates escalating rapidly the fewer hours you have. This is a 135 operation, so it might be more for a 91 due to the lack of oversight perceived. I don't know how that works though.

I just got a guy with 25 hours in type, no previous turbine experience, 2800 total time, insured at a very low rate.

Our owner needed 40 hrs in type. He had 1200 TT and no turbine. Might have been expensive though.

I fly a TBM850 and I had 1500TT when I started flying it as PIC with 8 hours turbine. I had to go to simcom and had 20 hours dual. This is in a part 91 operation. I

the short answer to your question is not, how many hours do i need to be insured, but rather how much do you want to pay for insurance???

long story short...ANYONE can qualify for insurance, but the more experience you have, and the more your owner/DO/chief pilot is willing to pull for you, the cheaper your rates will be.

Last edited:
In the spirit of the above post, you need to shop multiple brokers and underwriters for your insurance needs.

BIG difference in the price of one underwriter accepting a certain risk vs. another...

the short answer to your question is not, how many hours do i need to be insured, but rather how much do you want to pay for insurance???

long story short...ANYONE can qualify for insurance, but the more experience you have, and the more your owner/DO/chief pilot is willing to pull for you, the cheaper your rates will be.

That's sort of what I expected to hear. I suppose I should rephrase my question as, at what experience level do insurance rates become affordable? :) If we could plot the two, where would the lines intersect? :)

In any case, thank you all for the responses. This info has been helpful.

-Goose

Latest resources

Back