Straight to the right seat...FDX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Falconjet said:
Sleepy is correct. You only get passover pay if YOU bid the seat, and somebdoy junior to you activates in the new seat ahead of you. Since most of the training is in seniority order (except for trades, where you waive passover), they don't normally have to pay much passover. LCA, flex and test guys are more likely to draw more passover, and most of them do already. I don't think going to the right seat as a new hire is that big a deal myself.

FJ

So anybody who is waiting to go to training from the last bid would receive passover pay when a new-hire activated in the same seat, no?

...thanks for all the work Sleepy...

I'm not sure of the rules on Passover, etc, but in the big picture--I don't care. If we really do hire 70 a month, guys hired in March will have more seniority than I did in 3.5 years on the property! We are blessed in what is a really tough industry right now.

Bros--stay humble. Karma is important.

Last edited:
Passover

New FDX Guy said:
So anybody who is waiting to go to training from the last bid would receive passover pay when a new-hire activated in the same seat, no?

Yes: If you have bid and held right seat in the MD-11 and are waiting to go to training, and they bring in a new hire and put him in training ahead of you, you will be eligible for passover pay when that person activates in the right seat. It has to be the same seat in the same domicile. So if they send the new hire to ANC and you hold MEM, you won't get passover.

Training is usually in seniority order, but I can see if they do put new hires in the right seat of a widebody they will be jumping the line so to speak and there will be some folks who will get passover as a result.

Another thing about passover pay: You don't get paid at the new rate. You get paid at your current rate. At the end of the month they write you a check for the difference of the AVERAGE BLG of the seat you are waiting for minus the BLG/RLG that you held in your current seat. So if you work a draft trip of something, you get paid the draft for your current seat.

It's not like you are earning the higher rate, but you are getting a bonus each month to bring you up to the average BLG of the seat you are waiting for. Something to keep in mind if you are drawing passover, no need to bid the highest paying line in your current seat, just whatever line you like, because your going to make the average BLG of the new seat either way.

FJ

The Passover Pay question is one that you need to contact Contract Enforcement about. I'm not going to accidentally type the wrong thing here. Call the union office and ask to talk to Contract Enforcement.

And yes, the Mavs game was on and they lost in overtime.

Good advice, but passover is pretty clearly spelled out in the contract. You can read it yourself to see how it works. Now, if you don't get it and you should, I would first contact pay and then maybe the union if the pay folks didn't hook you up.

FJ

The part of the contract that I am not sure about is where it says that the junior pilot activated must be from the same or subsequent bids. This makes sense as you wouldn't expect to get passover pay just because you decided to skip a bid then upgraded on the next one.

Do the choices that new hires get fall under the 'subsequent bid' catagory? I would think so, but would be surprised if the company used this as a loophole. They certainly will have delayed my activation since it has just slid a few weeks in preparation of the new hires coming to my seat...all rumor of course.

Thanks for the info.

Well that is a very good question. I don't know if a new hire would be considered a subsequent posting, but I would think so too. That might be one for the contract enforcement types in the union. Keep in mind that you don't get the passover until the junior pilot activates on the line. That will take about 3 months. This also assumes that you did no training date swaps.

FJ

Falconjet said:
Yes: If you have bid and held right seat in the MD-11 and are waiting to go to training, and they bring in a new hire and put him in training ahead of you, you will be eligible for passover pay when that person activates in the right seat. It has to be the same seat in the same domicile. So if they send the new hire to ANC and you hold MEM, you won't get passover.

Incorrect.............you do not get passover pay when a new-hire activates into a seat that you are currently waiting on a training date for.

I spoke with contract enforcement about this and they said it does not apply to new-hires.

Just the messenger.

Well, as we feared, what would seem to make sense is in fact not the correct answer. That means there is no real downside to the company putting new hires into the right seat in regard to passover pay.

Did I goober anything else up?

FJ

Latest resources

Back