• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Straight in approach at Non Controlled Field

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SIR MILO we are talking about non-towered fields here. If you shoot an ILS (which is straight in) and you are in VMC conditions (its done all the time) you will not be provided separation from VFR traffic-- its still see and avoid... the same from all practical viewpoints as doing a straight in visual approach.

And East Hampton is not a BIG busy airport. Its a SMALL busy airport. Thanks very much.

I thought you may have been thinking of the Kotzebue incident. It is my understanding that the fed was in the jumpseat, and the crew turned final from a right base inside of 5 miles. The fed didn't say anything to the crew, then they received a letter of investigation in the mail. The five mile rule that came out of this was this: if you want to turn a right base when there is left traffic, do it OUTSIDE of a five mile final. Inside of five miles, you are in the traffic pattern and must make turns in the proper direction. I've done lots of straight ins with feds in the jumpseat and haven't heard a thing about it not being a correct procedure. Particularly in higher speed aircraft, it is easier to blend in with light aircraft when you do a straight-in. They can extend downwind to follow you a lot easier than you can go overhead and turn in behind them.

Single is correct, the issue is not straight in but making turns contrary to the traffic pattern too close in. The distance is actually 4 miles, incidentally, and that was established by FAA in a legal interp and upheld by NTSB in a full review trying to appeal a violation.

profile said:
Single is correct, the issue is not straight in but making turns contrary to the traffic pattern too close in. The distance is actually 4 miles, incidentally, and that was established by FAA in a legal interp and upheld by NTSB in a full review trying to appeal a violation.
Profile, do you have a link to the FAA's legal interpretation? I don't doubt you, I just wanted to read it for my own edification. Thanks.

Didn't realize I'd get this much of a response, but it's what I was looking for!!!

I talked to a fed from ak about this incident. It involved a questionable wiiide right base, if you get what I mean. Both my airlines did straight ins all the time to uncontrolled fields. With faa on board. Much safer than ridiculous amounts of maneuvering ata TPA 500' abv all the piston traffic. Speed adjustments and courteous radio work always made it work out fine.

SIR MILO said:
Look in your AIM for one.
What is the practical difference?
do you have an istrument license?
Then you should know that an ILS clearance vs a visual clearance allows for different seperation.
Since you go into these BIG busy airports you would know that on a day were everyone has to shoot the ILS, everyone is getting slowed down and the final is much longer. CALLED REQUIRED SEPERATION
The 5 mile rule applies to uncontrolled airports not somewhere where the tower creates the final..duh
4000 hrs, think you would know the basics
Almost a million hours...and not much difference....

For one, its called an "Instrument Rating". A license is something you get to drive a truck, a "Certificate" or "Rating" allows you to operate an aircraft.

Another point, there is no such thing as a "Controlled" or "uncontrolled" airport, they are classifications of airspace. Airport's are either "Towered" or "Non-Towered". You can have a "Towered" airport that is surrounded by "Un-Controlled" airspace.

There is no practical difference in flying an ILS on an IFR clearance to a non-towered airport in VMC and flying a straight in approach.. ATC is responsible for seperating the IFR traffic. You are still responsible for separation from the VFR traffic in the pattern. Once on CTAF, you will need to co-ordinate with the other traffic in the area for your arrival.

IP076 said:
A license is something you get to drive a truck, a "Certificate" or "Rating" allows you to operate an aircraft.
It would appear that the FAA disagrees with you on that particular point.

From the FAA website:

How do I obtain commercial pilot license?

How do I find out if someone is an FAA-licensed pilot or mechanic?

How do I get the new plastic credit card style license (certificate) to replace my paper license?

If I change the address on my pilot's license, do I need a new license?

What are the differences in the types of pilot licenses?

What requirements must I meet to get a mechanic's license?

One of the uncontrolled airports my outfit
serves has an analretentive "safety officer"
of some sort that periodically threatens
to call the FAA about out "straight in"
approaches. Don't know what his issue is,
seem like the slow manueverable aircraft all
have the right of way over our instrument
operations...I never cancel till I'm on the
ground...

I have (for some time now) been either flying
a full pattern or joining the loc outside the
marker and using appropriate calls to indicate
which runway I am "circling" to in not going to
the runway aligned with the LOC. The LOC is
served by arcs for both right and left turns...
looks to me like if you are established on the
localizer outside the marker they shouldn't be
able to touch you.

Another choice would be to ask for a heading
to join the LOC (or whatever serves as the final
approach course). If Center/approach gives you
instructions or a clearance to do so, and it doesn't
violate any other regs, you're covered.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back