Stop the Press!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nosehair

If I were King, I would never have allowed those pictures of Iraqi prisoner abuse to be published! That is very clearly aiding the enemy! They will use those pictures to furthur their cause forever more. We have become so numb to logical and reasonable thinking in the name of "fredom of speech" and "freedom of the press" that we do not take care of business.
The press does not need to spread pictures like that in the name of "freedom if information".
Whatever happened to "loose lips sink ships"?
It is outragous that we allow, and fall victim, to the sensationalisim of the press.
Yes, this discovery of prisoner abuse needs to be corrected, but the press should be required by law to not publish graphic material which can used by the enemy for the furthurance of their cause. The beheading video is a direct result of the irresponsible actions of the press. How can we stop them?

nosehair said:
The beheading video is a direct result of the irresponsible actions of the press. How can we stop them?

Not so! The beheading was a direct result of our military's actions. Don't try and shift the blame. The press is merely the messenger, and as the saying goes: "Don't kill the messenger."

Now don't misunderstand me, I believe that the beheading was wrong. But to say it's the press's fault is a fallacy dreamed up by the Bush administration and the people who wholeheartedly support that administration.

you both are wrong. they would've killed people even if we never were in iraq. proof is the 3,000 people who died on 9/11.

You're wrong Aero Boy. The media presentation of these pictures was irresponsible. I'm not going to defend what happened in the prison again - some of it was wrong I'm sure. BUT MOST OF IT WAS NOT!! The American public needs to grow up and realize if we didn't do some of that, we'd eventually be dealing with it here. Then what you you be yelling about? That we didn't "do enough"? Be honest, for once. What the media did was errode our ability to be successful in this entire fight against terrorism.

Happy?

So what you're saying is: Once we're at war, we should lay our trust blindly in the hands of our Commander-in-chief. No checks. No balances. Just "support the troops." No questions asked. No free press, no protest.

And if our C-in-C should decide that, in the war against terror, we should invade Sweden tomorrow, he deserves our unwavering support.

In a sense, turn from democracy to dictatorship.

Very "patrioritc"

NO,NO,NO!

I DIDN"T SAY "NO CHECKS & BALANCES"! For the most part, the public exposure to government wrong-doing is what keeps us a people governed by ourselves, but in certain circumstances, when the exposure will surely lead to more death and destruction, it should be dealt with the same as other military matters. During WWII, if we had the kind of mindset we have today, "Loose Lips Sink Ships" would have been seen as "Interfereing with my freedom" and perhaps we would have lost-who knows?

Nosehair.

If you were king…….King of what kingdom? If the American press is subject to censorship, how would you prevent the computer chip from that digital camera to be sent to other news organizations all over the planet…..from Al Jeheera to the London Daily News?

Military secrets must be protected. Julius and Ethyl Rosenberg were executed in the 1950’s for giving atomic secrets to the Soviets. Many other traitors have been caught and imprisoned for the same things, most recently the case of a Navy father and son given life in prison for selling secrets to the soviets. I know all about the WWII admonition of “Loose Lips sink Ships” this was a promotion put forth by the War Department, and for good reason. I doubt that anyone was ever charged with a crime for talking about the war in public……it was just discouraged as an irresponsible thing to do. And, I agree!

Where this recent disclosure with photos departs from selling secrets in other times, is that suppression of news of Abu Ghriab, would be the covering up of a crime committed by American soldiers.

I have no way of proving this next statement, but I believe these 5 people who butchered Mr. Berg, would have done that to any American Jew, with or without the photos. Mr. Berg was kidnapped in April, before these photos came out. It is reported that the leader of the death squad, was none other that Osama bin Laden’s right hand man in Al Queda. Al Queda killed 3000 Americans without any photos to justify the actions, how did they need a justification to kill one American?

Stop the Press

A "Free Press" should forever remain free. We need information to make decissions. Don't let your feedoms go and don't ever allow one man to blindly lead you.

Did you ever have the high school bully take your lunch money from you? These guys are international bullies. You either fight back or give up eating lunch.

So what you're saying is: Once we're at war, we should lay our trust blindly in the hands of our Commander-in-chief. No checks. No balances. Just "support the troops." No questions asked. No free press, no protest.

There were checks and balances that occured. Did you forget that the President went to the Congress for the approval and got the authority from them.

So yes you should support our troops. And if you dont like the way things are done then you can protest or move to a country that is better than ours. (if you find that let me know)

A "Free Press" should forever remain free. We need information to make decissions. Don't let your feedoms go and don't ever allow one man to blindly lead you.

A free press is great, but if that free press gets out people killed or injured then the "free Press" should be held acountable for the deaths or injuries.

Latest resources

Back