• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LR25

Its just a vintage VW
Looking for info, good and the bad.

Is there any better model between the 1,2,3,?

Metalized or fabric?

I hear they fly great, and the Franklin is a smooth running engine.

Try www.supercub.org Not just for supercubs, a lot of GREAT tailwheel knowledge there, you will get plenty of great info and feedback.

As a second idea, www.tailwheel.com Not as popular but worth a shot, but SC will def get u answers.

Have fun with the wagon! Things got a billboard for a tail but it's a pretty straight forward airplane and the franklin is smooth. Not sure how readily you can get parts. There was a guy out at FlyingTen airport in Gainesville, FL trying to sell his, restored it pretty darn well. He seemed to have a lot of info on them too.

-- T-hawk

P.S. Look for one with an upgrade in HP, def not a 4 person airplane in the summer with a stock franklin in the early versions....

I'm sure there are differences between the 1, 2, and 3, (horsepower mainly, from what I understand) but I've only flown the -2.

If I remember correctly it had a fabric fuselage with metal wings, although the flaps and ailerons were also fabric. Fun airplane to fly, feels like riding in a big kite. It was a blast to take around the pattern.

The bad side is that they're all very old. I'm sure some have been "let go" and are barely airworthy while others have been maintained/restored well. Nothing inherently wrong with the airplane as far as I can tell.

Also, it has leading edge slots, so it's **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** near impossible to do a power on stall in it unless you feel like pulling some G's.....that thing will wallow around at 35-40 and you just run out of pitch authority. Fun stuff.

Last edited:
The Stinson has one of the best control harmony of any airplane that I've flown. The Franklin engine is also one of the smoothest. However, do not expect the times between OH like you have with the Continental or Lycoming.........There is an STC for the installation of a O-470. That would be my pick.......As someone mentioned, these are old airplanes and a very intense pre-buy would be in order.

Just saw one today at the field, my instructor pointed out the unusual leading-edge slots as we were reviewing some aerodynamics. Beautiful airplane, and that engine sounds awesome at full power......

Latest resources

Back