Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Still think military pilots got it easy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Isn't getting shot at, shot down, tortured, killed and whatever else part of the risks one takes when at war?

Since when does anyone get anything punitive from these activities. I always thought the veterans received life time medical and a pension for their service and not a 100 million for getting put in harms way.

It is a chance you take when you sign up. If these guys get the cash it is just like saying the tax payers get sued since we are funding Iraqi rebuild anyway. The money ultimately will come from us, not them.

What about all the Vietnam vets and Japanese POW’s? They didn’t get millions for their sacrifice, I think this argument is ridiculous.

If the same regime was still in power than it would be a different story but they are not.

Last edited:
What is with this mentality that just because something bad happened to you, you should become very rich. Oh, maybe it has something to do with your lawyer getting rich too. Seriously, if there was any rational to this, it could only be to punish the govt that carried out these acts. I may be wrong but I think they've already been punished. Not sure what would be the rational behind punishing the current govt in Baghdad.

Having said all that, why is it that EVERY time an American is captured anywhere, they are tortured, raped, or even beheaded and the world just yawns? I remember hearing that the Abu Ghraib debacle was so awful because we are giving our enemies an excuse to not follow the Geneva Convention regarding any of our own servicemen they might capture. WTF??? When was the last time that anybody even gave a nod at the Geneva Convetion when they captured Americans? No, they just do what they want and half the world applauds.

It's part of the job people. Service to one's country. Not the other way around.

Last edited:
MarineGrunt said:
It's part of the job people. Service to one's country. Not the other way around.

I'll agree to that, but why do we find it necessary to spend our money to rebuild a different country when this country could use some help too?

-mini

TDTURBO said:
Isn't getting shot at, shot down, tortured, killed and whatever else part of the risks one takes when at war?

tdturbo said:
I always thought the veterans received life time medical and a pension for their service

Do you ever get that little voice in your head that tells you you might be about to say something really dumb? Sometimes you should listen to it.

Please, enlighten me....

hawg2hawk said:
Do you ever get that little voice in your head that tells you you might be about to say something really dumb? Sometimes you should listen to it.

some enlightenment...take it or leave it

TDTURBO said:
Please, enlighten me....

Putting yourself in harms way, and brutal illegal torture are two different things ace!

POWs are non-combatants (geneva conventions, law of armed conflict)

of course you are not required to know such things, but before you insult the men and women who go to war for your freedoms, educate yourself

...or just open your mouth and sound foolish

The most interesting part of the story to me was that Iraq was identified in 1996 as one of 17 countries that sponsored international terrorism. Gee, wasn't CLINTON in office in 1996? Democrats? All those who have said that Iraq never had anything to do with terrorism? Isn't that the Clinton administration stating that Iraq was a sponsor of international terrorism?

Bush, Clinton, Bush, does it matter?

You know, I don't care that Bush won. Yeah, he did. So what?

I'm not a Liberal, or Conservative, or NeoCon or whatever title you give me.

If you make up your mind about something before you hear the story you are ignorant (i.e. Conservatives automatically Pro-Life, Pro-Gun, blah, blah OR Liberals automatically Pro-Choice, Pro-whatever...)

So I see this story in the Baltimore Sun, and I call Bush out on it, just like I would Clinton. I think this just goes to show you his "morality" , and how much he really "cares".

I met Bush, before he became president (didn't really care for him, maybe it was his charm) . He's the type of guy that would be good at Frat parties or afternoon bbq's. Anyways he IS the President, but he does NOT speak for me.

P1

Latest resources

Back