Still gona change careers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seattle,

Only my short-term outlook has changed. And not just for my goals of professional flying. I'm working on the CFI ratings now and expect to complete them around the end of the year, maybe earlier/maybe later.

I'll keep my full-time job and instruct part-time for probably a year or so. Like the airline industry, movement within the investment management industry has slowed quite a bit as well. I'm still in the same job I've had for the last four years working for some tremendous idiots. That part is more frustrating than knowing that the time to a full-time professional flying career might be a couple years longer than I anticipated only a year ago. Once I'm doing both and not paying for flight time I'll try to pocket as much $$$ per month as I can. Both for getting married and for a possible move to full-time flying. I cam imagine it is probably much tougher for those with spouses and children to make this transition.

As far as mentors, this board helps tremendously. I could have never gleaned so much from even all the other internet sites put together. I also keep in contact with former flight instructors and my roommate is flying a Lear full-time. I really believe every business is about contacts. The best candidate for the job isn't always the smartest or most proficient. Aviation is no different than any other industry.

One suggestion I would have, if you have the time, is to commence working on the ground portion of the CFI as there is really a tremendous amount of work you could get done if you do wait a bit to sell your plane. It would probably shorten your time in actual flight training when you do get those ratings. It certainly seems as if there will be some growth at the regional level over the next few years and I have no doubts whatsoever that there will be growth in corporate flying, fractional, and at SWA, JBLU and Airtran. My belief that there will be jobs in those areas make the current situation easier to handle.

Mr. I.

HexWRX said:
[as for which is more enjoyable, pizza delivery or flying.. well, I can think of many things far less enjoyable than racing around in the WRX, listening to my cds, and getting tips and $7 delivering pizza.
You got me on that one. I'll have to admit I had a blast delivering for Domino's. I actually stayed after work a few times and rode with some friends (girls!) a few times. The best deal was the tips you'd get when taking a pizza to the construction guys. They'd give me a $20 to go buy them a 12-pk of beer and tell me to keep the change! I bet the Domino's guy buying a 12-pk at 7-11 looked kind of strange, but I didn't care. It was good $$. You ever have any close encounters with the ladies delivering? I had a few, but one was pretty memorable. This one was amazing. Answered the door trying to get her bikini on. The 6'-4" boyfriend hovering in the apt behind her kind of took the fun out of the deal though.

By The Way... Are you a current A&M Student? If so, know any good FBOs over toward San Antonio/Austin?
Not a current student. Graduated many years ago :rolleyes:
Austin has some high $$ ones at Bergstrom. I don't know of many that do primary flight training, but they're around.

A&M has a flying club that allows free lance instruction. I'm sure others do as well. That's what I had in mind when suggesting CFI work while going to school.

I am going to change from my BSD (Big Steel Desk) with one computer screen on it (IT job) to a BAD (Big Aluminum Desk) with multiple computer screens on it and gauges and switches and throttle levers (an aviation career) if it's the last things I do on earth. I know the industry is in a major slump right now but look at the world economy as a whole...it sucks!

I will not let anyone steal my dream!

There have been times like this before and there will be times like this again. It's called life. You have to be able to endure hardship and suffer a little if need be. If someone is holding you back unfairly (especially terrorists), have a blanket party for them (if you don't know what I am talking about, watch the first half of Full Metal Jacket).

I'll stop now before I get on a slippery soapbox, but will finish with this...

Adapt, improvise, and overcome!

I'll see ya'll on the airways and I certainly hope to see some of you in the seat next to mine, weather it be front right or front left.

Blue skies and tailwinds, friends.

I'm still going for it. 36, two kids, mortgage.

I continue to work two jobs, seven days a week. Monday-Friday is the desk job and Saturday-Sunday is the flying job. By the way, I found out that I will be laid off from my desk job at the end of September due to acquistion. So, while I'm looking for another desk job, I'm also sending resumes to the regionals, hoping I get a bite. You'll never know if you don't send.

I am buoyed by the airline pilots, my friends, my wife, and my kids who say to keep at it and keep flying. Everyone I know is interested and supportive and provides encouragement. I also think they might be a bit envious, too. This is not some will-o'-the-wisp.

I was talking to a Southwest pilot the other day about my career. He said it is not too late. In a class this summer they had guys in their 50's. His advice was to structure progression so you end up in the left seat at a major by 45. He didn't seem to think this was unrealistic. Will this happen? I don't know. I'd rather give it a shot than do nothing.

Must be an Aggie thing. Class of '88.

And then we collapse, cover ourselves with woolen shawls and fill our bellies with ham.

These are all good posts. It's good to see people that still are so motivated to become part of the airline industry without letting the downturn of current events sway them. Time's are tough right now but there are still people out there hiring and when the industry recovers (which it will) then I hope that all of us get to where we want to be. Wish we could all hang out and down a couple.

Never never never give up (W. Churchill)

Rook
600' AGL Autopilot on.
'WHEW!'

Jump Pilot said:
His advice was to structure progression so you end up in the left seat at a major by 45. He didn't seem to think this was unrealistic.
Respectfully speaking, I think your SWA buddy has altitude sickness...
Will this happen? I don't know. I'd rather give it a shot than do nothing.
I understand giving it a shot. You're right there.
Must be an Aggie thing. Class of '88.
You live on campus? Corps? I spent most of my time in Walton... doing the engineering thing now. Fortunately, things are pretty good where I am. Makes it even harder to give up a nice job for so much uncertainty. My wife is totally supportive, but has a hard time with the logic (which there is very little).

Aggiepilot, thanks for the info ;) I'll keep that in mind when I start looking for a CFI position (like, a year from now ;)

And I've got plenty of stories. Our delivery area is pretty cool for the most part. To this day I've still not been robbed once (with nearly 2 years on the job I'm way below the average). I have actually delivered to Charles Smith and Antonio Daniels (both Spurs players) on separate occasions. I got great tips from both of them, and Charles Smith gave me an autographed poster just cause I recognized him.

Never had a girl answer the door while trying to put on a bikini, to my dismay,though. I did once deliver to a bachelor party complete with strippers... The guys who were throwing the party were pretty drunk and they invited me to stay and party with them.Luckily my friend john was the in-store manager that night, so I actually got to stay.

aggiepilot87:

Lived off campus and was a frat boy. Spent most of my time either at the frat house, chasing sorority chicks, or at Zephyrs.:)

What a great thread. Let me encourage all of you who are working toward getting the ratings and the time to join the world of professional aviation.

First, the journey itself is fun. Enjoy flying small aircraft, without tight schedules, going when and where you want to go with friends. Enjoy manual flight controls, the feel of the aircraft, the smell of Avgas and smooth dawn flights. Enjoy the comaraderie of the folks at the airport.

Keep moving forward. Get your Multi, Inst, Comm, out of the way was soon as you can. Consider getting partners for an Apache, or Twin Commanche and get a couple hundred hours of multi time. A lot of doors will open for you and the Multi, Inst, Comm is the most bang for the buck.

This business is incredibly cyclical. This is both good an bad. Use it to your advantage. Now is a great time to pick up ratings. Prices are better than they will be, airplanes and instructors are available. (Two years ago it was hard to schedule a checkride - every examiner was up to their eyes in applicants!)

Several trends in the industry will help pilots in your current position. You already know about the retirement picture, the aging baby boomer group - so I will not belabor that point. You should also consider that the major airlines are going through fleet replacement. The capabilities of 40 to 110 seat aircraft now allow these to be dispatched on routes formerly flown by 727, 737, MD-88 and Folker equipment. Smaller airplanes mean more frequent service, which the passengers love, and more pilots for the same revenue seat mile capacity.

You should also follow the battles within ALPA to some degree. The battle wages over if domestic air carriers will be allowed to operate these aircraft, who will fly them and how they will be flown.

The RJ is to an MD-88 what a 767 is to a 747. The 767 came along and allowed service to smaller international destinations, with greater frequency. It replaced many three pilot 747's. However, ALPA does not understand this simple fact of fleet renewal. They allowed codeshare operators (like ASA and Comair) to perform the flying they did not want, flying small jets. Now as the majority of narrowbody domestic aircraft are up for replacement with small jets, it is a huge problem.

Hopefully by the time we get to fly together, we will have one list and you can hire in on an RJ and retire from a 777. Good luck to you :)

~~~^~~~ Fins to the Left!

P.S. I was 33 when I made the jump after living Seattle's life for 15 years. The first year pay was miserable, but by sitting on reserve away from base it was increased by a $1,000 a month, tax free. Very soon I will upgrade and make more than I ever made in management - plus the eyes have gone from 20/60 to 20/10. Doc says less stress and more looking out the window is to credit. It is a job I truly love - and these are the "bad times." Good luck - get prepared now for the opportunities to come.

Count me in ... sorta ...

I'm 39, two kids (divorced) and still (barely) working in IT (the IT industry is in BAD shape!) but still planning to finish CFII/MEI ratings as soon as I can afford to start back. I've never really wanted an airline career, and only wanted to fly local charter or corporate on King Airs and Citations. That's my thing, really. And I think it's still gonna be do'able.

Now if I could just get my full pay back to start flying again ... :D

Minh
(Still dreaming of flying my own B90/C500 for my company when we get rich.)

Latest resources

Back