Staying current with knowledge

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good ideas.

I use file cards, read during the time spent not flying, look up things on a searchable aviation databse, and ask questions. Sometimes a question will just pop into your head while flying. Write it down. Look for an answer. Then, ask if you have to. Encourage friends and students to ask questions, then find the answers.

My FSI stuff goes on EVERY trip. It's impossible to have too much info on the airplane you fly.

I found the best way to remember it is to use the knowledge, by either teaching it or activley using it in flight. There was a bunch of stuff thta I read for the ground portion that I didn't really start remembering it until started flying it, and actually needed it.

Also teaching others is a good way to remember it, I taught a couple of hanger rats how to pre-flight a plane and it helped me really solidify it for myself.

Try this, I hope it helps. I got it from a Flight Training article (I believe) [Try this, I hope it helps. I got it from a Flight Training article (I believe)

January- General
-Fuel grades (color)
-Supplemental data
-Definitions/ Terminology
-Symbols/ Abbreviations
-Standard empty weight
-Unusable fuel
-Full operating fluids
-Full engine oil
-Reference datum line
-Communication

February- Electrical System
-Schematic diagrams
-Flow of electricity
-Cockpit management ...........................................................etc

/QUOTE]
This might get you a mention on the dorky pilot page...actualy not a bad way to stay on top of it, but in reality when you're fly 60,70,80 hours a month most of it stays with you. The only extra thing I do is read my manuals when I take a crap on the overnight at the hotel. That gives me at least 10 minutes 12 - 16 times a month minimum.

gizbug said:
I live in the Metro Detroit area.
How, if I may ask, do you read the message boards while in the tub? You have a waterproof monitor? :p

LMAO! I don't read the message boards while in the tub, I read the journals, I use a laptop at home while I lay in bed and kick back after work.

You become anal retentive after the age of 40. So you need to jam as much knowledge in there as possible so that by the time you are 60 it hasn't all leaked out. There is a big diffrence between experience and knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge you loose, experience can never be taken away and wisdom comes with old age. Know what you have to know, the other is just barstool stuff to impress the FA's and newbies with.

Latest resources

Back