• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stay in aviation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hate to be cliche' but, an aviation career is exactly what you make of it. There are no other career fields that are rewarding that are without the accompanying drawbacks. To put up with all the crap, you have to LOVE to fly for a living. If it makes you bitter, get out. If you're happy, stay. In between, if it is just another job to you, do yourself a favor and get into a field where you're home every night.

I was laid of in 1982 by my fortune 500 company, there were no flying jobs at that time, it was my third flying job in three years since I left the Navy. So I decided to go into business for myself, use my MBA and see what I could do. Built the company to 3.5 M in sales 20 employees, leased BE-58, I hated it , you never escaped from the job. You worked 60-70 hrs a week, and spent your free time drilling in the reserves to make ends meet. I did not understand my customer base and the company went out of business in 1989. I went back to flying, because of airplanes, airports and pilots, that is where I belong. Where the life away from the job does not eat you up.
Was it hard for you to get back into aviation after being away for so long? I mean did you have to take to 20k /year job just to get your foot back in, or were you able to land a pretty good job right off the bat?

Nope took the 25K/yr as a DHC-6 Captain at a 135 scheduled commuter. Thanks goodness for the reserves

Latest resources

Back