Stay in aviation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AJL5236

I know a few people that elected to get out of aviation after 9-11 to persue other careers and they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves. At times they miss the flying, but enjoy being home everynight and having some stability. Does anyone wish that they had gotten out as well? I know the aviation field is cyclic, and now we're on the up swing, but how many sacrafices do you have to make to eventually get where you want to be and at that time you can have paycuts, furloughs, mergers, etc? Anyone thinking about getting out of aviation and just flying for fun?

I got out for 5 years, ran my own company, missed a chance at the majors, went back in had 5 jobs since I returned and never looked back. It has been an adventure, I would change little. I am truely lucky to have lived a childhood dream.

I got out for 5 years, ran my own company, missed a chance at the majors, went back in had 5 jobs since I returned and never looked back. It has been an adventure, I would change little. I am truely lucky to have lived a childhood dream.

Watch out some here will think your crazy for calling that an adventure!

I think about getting out every now and then. But I slap myself in the face and realize I dont know how to do anything else except drink and gamble.

I do know this though. There is no way in hell i can go back to a normal everyday Joe type of job in which you are at the office at 9 and leave at 5. The monotony of that after doing this for so long would be a nail in the casket.

My five years out I toured Baja for 4 month, trained TSA goons and made more $$ than a Fed-X Capt for 7 months, got married and honeymooned in Asia for 3 months, ran the family business for four years, raised my daughter for a year and a half and then got back into aviation. Other than seeing my bro's from Sky-W now upgrading at SWA and making some good $$ I don't regret my decisions at all. Oh yeah - did I forget to mention three canceled furlough recalls by NWA....This industry is what it is and it will never change. Just hope you have enough seniority before the next down turn. As far as staying out of aviation - What other job can you make over $100k and consider it a part time job and have no one to report to before or after work? This is the reason there are plenty of entry level guys willing to fly for pennies. SUCKS!! This is fueling the major managements decision to not give the $$ back in current negotiations.

Just my $0.02

Baja.

My five years out I toured Baja for 4 month, trained TSA goons and made more $$ than a Fed-X Capt for 7 months, got married and honeymooned in Asia for 3 months, ran the family business for four years, raised my daughter for a year and a half and then got back into aviation. Other than seeing my bro's from Sky-W now upgrading at SWA and making some good $$ I don't regret my decisions at all. Oh yeah - did I forget to mention three canceled furlough recalls by NWA....This industry is what it is and it will never change. Just hope you have enough seniority before the next down turn. As far as staying out of aviation - What other job can you make over $100k and consider it a part time job and have no one to report to before or after work? This is the reason there are plenty of entry level guys willing to fly for pennies. SUCKS!! This is fueling the major managements decision to not give the $$ back in current negotiations.

Just my $0.02

Baja.

This is why I will most likely stay in aviation and continue to buy and sell used cars on the side. Eventually I will have my own used car lot (already have a dealer's licesne) and will make more money buying and selling cars and will fly for the fun of it.

No flying jobs, year ending in 2

I was laid of in 1982 by my fortune 500 company, there were no flying jobs at that time, it was my third flying job in three years since I left the Navy. So I decided to go into business for myself, use my MBA and see what I could do. Built the company to 3.5 M in sales 20 employees, leased BE-58, I hated it , you never escaped from the job. You worked 60-70 hrs a week, and spent your free time drilling in the reserves to make ends meet. I did not understand my customer base and the company went out of business in 1989. I went back to flying, because of airplanes, airports and pilots, that is where I belong. Where the life away from the job does not eat you up.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back