Static Ports on ARROW III

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

buckman

Can anyone explain to me why the Piper Arrow has two static ports (one on each side of the fuselage) as compared to the Archer or Seminole which only have one static port?

Thanks for the help!

Buckman:D

buckman said:
Can anyone explain to me why the Piper Arrow has two static ports (one on each side of the fuselage) as compared to the Archer or Seminole which only have one static port?

The Semi, for example, has its static port located on the pitot mast out on the left wing. In this location, the port is in relatively undisturbed air. On the Arrow, though, the ports are located on the fuselage. If the plane were placed in a slip, the relative wind would meet the fuselage, and therefore one of the static ports, at an angle. Consequently, some dynamic pressure would enter one of the static ports, giving an erroneous indication of static pressure. The port on the other side of the fuselage, being somewhat blanketed by the fuselage, serves to "average out" the error due to the slipped condition, yielding more accurate static pressure information.

Thanks for the info. I told an examiner basically what Booker said and he didn't seem to like the answer. But it's the most logical answer to his question. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Buckman

Latest resources

Back