Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Business Axioms

Archer,

Put your plan together, crunch the numbers until they run together, take a deep breath, roll up your sleeves and have at it.

A number of other posts seem to relate the sense that in aviation one is always one breath away from loosing ones shirt. It is a relatively expensive business to get into since it doestake money to make money however, this is where the true meaning of "pay for performance" comes to light, you'll get out of it what you put into it. In the same way that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" then so it is with any worthwhile venture. It just could be that with a decent plan, a lot (two words) of determination and a smidgen of luck it will wind up being one of the most enjoyable, rewarding things you'll ever do.

All the Best,

Speaking of startup 135 operations. Anyone have experience "bootstrapping" off another 135 operation until you get some business? Am I using the right term for an individual (properly rated, equipped, maintained, etc) conducting operations under another established 135 certificate?

It's used called being a "certificate rider" and in order to do it, you would have to have your pilot(s) trained in their program, your airplane would have to go through "conformity" and thereafter be maintained under their approved maintenance program, which can cost you more than you ever dreamed . . . the standards and requirements for an aircraft to be used for 135 requires much more documentation than 91 . . .

There are a lot of sharks swimming, and putting your aircraft on someone's certificate without knowing the business is basically asking to be bent over.

Basically, what it comes down to is this industry is filled with people who are willing to do just about anything to fly, or to be involved in aviation, and that is why the majority of companies don't last.

Everyone thinks it is easy "I'll just work harder, and I'm smarter, and I have a _______ degree" but in the end, they find that there were a lot of variables that they did not plan for, and they usually go out of business within a few years, with a lot more respect for those who have managed to make it.

If you really want to give your venture a chance to succeed, go work for one of these operators for a while first, and learn the ropes on someone else's nickle, then start your own. That was good advice my Dad gave me, wish I would've listened to him!

Anyway, good luck, keep dreaming, and meanwhile, give some thought to the above. Also, pick up a book called "The Portable MBA in Entrepreneurship" it will teach you more than any college busines curriculum.

Last edited:
Single Pilot 135 Operation

You might want to look into a single pilot part 135 operation. If you are the only pilot, then the FARs have special provisions for not requiring a number of the standard part 135 things, such as a "Chief Pilot" and "Director of Operations" and such. You will need your commercial certificate and 1000 hours PIC if you want to fly IFR or at night (which you probably will want to do).

Call your local FSDO. They are very helpful along these lines. Just ask about the basic steps to setting up a single pilot part 135 operation.

I was looking into doing this, and, in fact had what I thought could be a profitable business plan put together...up until my, er, "financial manager" put her foot down and said, "you're not starting an aviation business with our money". Up until that point, the folks at the Seattle FSDO spent quite a bit of time on the phone with me and sent me all sorts of good information.

Heck, I'd be happy to sell you the business plan, cheap! :)

...Dave

Unless things have changed in the last few years, Chief, it'll take at leat 1200tt, but that's just a minimum requirement.

Your wife sounds like a smart lady.

Ironic. Co-creator of Wings was on American flight 11, Sept 11, 2001.

I'm with you FlyChicaga. That would be good deal to have a little operation like that. Small enough route to keep the commuters away, large enough to have a demand for flights. Would be nice having "Helen" (Crystal Bernard) working there too!

would that scenario have been a 121 or 135 operation?

If you are thinking about that, look at Cape Air, they operate 135 and fly the islands. You have to have an ATP though, because it is single pilot carrying pasengers. They have I believe cornered the market for flying small twins in the islands.

Latest resources

Back