Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Archer

student pilot forever
I was wondering if there are any people who have in the past owned a flight business or are currently owners, or are planning on being.

I am considering getting an MBA and starting my own flight business as one of the options after graduation form college.

The plan would be to start small, and grow. The services would most probably involve charter/air taxi and sightseeing operations with 6 seater (used) singles or twin pistons.

Perhaps 2 or 3 airplanes to start with, then as you make money, expand to perhaps turbine airplanes, and more airplanes, newer equipment, bigger staff. Most probably start at a public airport, or have your own strip (depending on which is more economical).

Anyone with experience/knowledge with flight business ownership, I would appreciate your input.

I personally prefer to fly small piston or turbine airplanes, rather than large heavy jets, yet flying small airplanes can't get you a good living usually, so being owner of a flight business would allow you to perhaps be one of the pilots, as well as make good money.

Archer

Archer...

Obviously you are not away of the secret to making a small fortune in Aviation.....

Start with a big fortune....

Lets Review:

American Airlines posted the largest yearly loss in aviation history last year. The airline lost $3.5 billion U.S. and warned it must cut costs dramatically to survive. The previous record holder was United Air Lines, which lost $2.1 billion in 2001 and filed for bankruptcy protection late last year. American is losing about $5 million a day...

To put it another way:

The best way to end up with a million bucks in aviation? Start with ten million.

Aviation entrepeneurship

. . . but what you could do is earn your CFI and hawk your services. Learn the nuts and bolts of the business, build time, and see where that leads you.

You are bilingual, right? Maybe you can develop some contacts among your paisani.

By the way, there was one notable M.B.A. who started with something like $10K and ended up with his name on so many pilots' tongues. You don't want to be like him.

Good luck with your plans, but think very small at first.

About becoming a freelance CFI, that can be very difficult right?

For if say you can buy a 60K Piper Archer, and set up Bob's PPL/Commerical Training Inc. or whatever...you most probably would charge more than the average CFI pay, so you could make more than 10K a year, and pay off the expenses of being a freelance...

you would not have all the facilities and experience of a 141 or Part 61 school at an FBO or whatever, like a Cessna Pilot Center...which average 30 bucks/hour for CFI pay? of which 12 or whatever go to them?

So you would want to charge maybe 40 bucks/hour, to make a reasonable profit...as the smaller your business, the greater your costs...from economics...

For some prospective student pilot to choose you, over a structured and experienced and well equipped flight school with many planes, perhaps 2001 Pipers and Cessnas...Garmin 430s and FTD...

so you probably have to be much better, and convicne your customer to choose you...

But it's a matter of dedication and effort I guess, and when you have one student that is satisfied, he'll tell his friends, which will tell their friends...and you might be known at the community as the CFI that is better than the CFIs at the FBO...even if you charge a little more...

What I was thinking was perhaps starting with a Seneca II and an Arrow or something, real small, with you being one of the pilots, and another friend of yours being the other, and start air-taxi services on short/medium hops, for low prices, and sight seeing tours.

Then slowly buy parhaps a Baron, then perhaps 2 barons...or a Cirrus SR22, or Piper Saratoga...get a third friend to help, someone also to stay at the office and take calls...

slowly grow...

it's just a dream though...but one of the many options I'm considering...

Archer

But then you got to pay aircraft maintenence costs, supply costs for books etc, and whatever other costs I can't think of...and might end up earning 0 dollars.

But it might be very profitable in the long run, especially if you expand the business...with a fellow Commercial pilot for sightseeing tours/ or another CFI for more instruction...or air taxi

Archer

For starters, check with the local FSDO to see how long it will take them to issue you Op Specs. 1-2 years on average, assuming you comply with part 119 to act as chief pilot, DO, etc.. and have exclusive use of at least one aircraft. Then call the insurance guy. After that, if you're still interested, call some mental health professionals.

I Think It's A Great deal!

WHY NOT!

Hell I'm in the same position as you. I'm currently an aeronautical science major thinking about the whole business thing and all.

First of all I think we are going to have to start very small. I figure if you’re really dedicated you can join the military as a pilot and pump all your money into aircraft and supplies. I don't know to much about the FAA regs and all but if you really want it to work why not give it a try.

You never know you could start real small and end up like Stebbins Jet center or something. You would want to be stationed at a public airport though. I think at least in the beginning to get things started! I have plenty of dreams and one day they will come true. If I were you I would also get a minor in business before you leave college just in case.

Hell come to think of it, by the time I graduate and do my time in the military the majors should be right on track. Then you can make the big bucks and go into partnership with a few guys who make 200k a year and really take off!

If all depends on resources and who you know. It you can find a few guys like yourself and I then you'll be on your way. Don't ever stop having high goals!

GOOD LUCK!

If you don't set goals, you'll never get anywhere. What if Fred Smith (FedEx), Adrian Dalsey, Larry Hillblom and Robert Lynn (DHL), etc. didn't look above the status quo?

You could probably make it on hard work. But to make it big or even to a point where you live well, you have to think hard and come up with new solutions to problems. To really boost yourself, you may even have to *create* demand for a service or product you provide. How do you do all this? Well, if I knew all the answers, I sure wouldn't tell anyone without some serious consulting fees!

good luck with the 135 operation. I've thought about one myself. Seeing how some of the money making operators work, I know I could beat them.

It it was easy, everyone would do it.

The first axiom in the aviation business is that if you want to make a small fortune, start with a large one.

But seriously, there are business models which can be profitable. However, you must realize there in the long run, you cannot cut corners or training or maintenance.

Steve

Latest resources

Back