Starting to put the parts together

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

~~~^~~~

Early information is that this will be a win for the ASA and the SkyWest pilots. For the SkyWest team, this agreement includes incentives for Delta to grow the new operation and a 15 year agreement to continue as a partner.

I do not believe SkyWest's announced intention to operate ASA as a wholly owned subsidiary with separate management will fly. ALPA was aggressive (and won) in challenging Mesa over CC Air and Freedom. Despite the corporate structure, ALPA should view this as a merger. There may be an NMB election to determine the bargaining agent, which ALPA might not win (but probably will).

ASA has merger and fragmentation language and the SWPA probably has some sort of an agreement with their management as well.

Despite the dismal morale of the ASA pilots, I think most of us are very hopeful that our new SkyWest owners will be an improvement. Current ASA Management is publishing that there will be no changes, but I think change is inevitable as Skywest should get rid of unnecessary redundancies in our operations. I particularly doubt Skywest will see the need for a SLC ASA base with CRJ700 operations. Also there are other parts of ASA that I believe SkyWest will not tolerate. But, there are some things ASA does a very good job on and parts of ASA's operation would benefit SkyWest. SkyWest has announced a "best practices" initiative which accomplishes this goal.

In total, it is good news. Delta treated us like outsiders and morale suffered as a result. I expect SkyWest to do better with their purchase and I particularly like the stability a 30 year President like Jerry Atkin brings to the mix.

Last edited:
interesting reading from the Skywest web site:

ASA and SWA Delta Connection Agreements

As a condition of closing to the transaction, each of SkyWest Airlines and ASA will enter into new5-year Delta Connection operating agreements with Delta. Both Delta Connection agreements will continue to be capacity purchase agreements with both carriers being compensated in a manner substantially similar to their current agreements. In connection with the ASA and SkyWest Airlines contract carrier agreements, Delta or Comair, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Delta, will lease or sublease 40 regional jet aircraft in total to ASA and SkyWest Airlines. If either ASA or SkyWest Airlines terminates its contract carrier agreement as a result of a material breach by Delta, the aircraft leases and subleases to ASA or SkyWest Airlines, as applicable, will terminate at the same time.

~~~^~~~ said:
Early information is that this will be a win for the ASA and the SkyWest pilots. For the SkyWest team, this agreement includes incentives for Delta to grow the new operation and a 15 year agreement to continue as a partner.

I do not believe SkyWest's announced intention to operate ASA as a wholly owned subsidiary with separate management will fly. ALPA was aggressive (and won) in challenging Mesa over CC Air and Freedom. Despite the corporate structure, ALPA should view this as a merger. There may be an NMB election to determine the bargaining agent, which ALPA might not win (but probably will).

ASA has merger and fragmentation language and the SWPA probably has some sort of an agreement with their management as well.

Despite the dismal morale of the ASA pilots, I think most of us are very hopeful that our new SkyWest owners will be an improvement. Current ASA Management is publishing that there will be no changes, but I think change is inevitable as Skywest should get rid of unnecessary redundancies in our operations. I particularly doubt Skywest will see the need for a SLC ASA base with CRJ700 operations. Also there are other parts of ASA that I believe SkyWest will not tolerate. But, there are some things ASA does a very good job on and parts of ASA's operation would benefit SkyWest. SkyWest has announced a "best practices" initiative which accomplishes this goal.

In total, it is good news. Delta treated us like outsiders and moreale suffered as a result. I hope SkyWest does better with their purchase.

AMEN brother...as a fellow Atlantian I totally agree. I think everyone in the GO in atlanta knew...thats why this place has been soo mismanaged lately...especially since DFW closed. They knew this would happen and totally let the place fall apart...no need to look further than the 60 some odd cancellations on Saturday due to crew shortage...this coming from a gate agent at an out station that was in disbelief as to how ASA was running the show

Delta or Comair, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Delta, will lease or sublease 40 regional jet aircraft in total to ASA and SkyWest Airlines

This could get very interesting if this means Comair is losing 40 aircraft. This could be current aircraft or future deliveries. Anyone have any more info on this?
This was taken off a press release from skywest.com

SkyWest, ASA, and the DCI need to retake DFW along with a base and resume flying. This would make both pilot groups happy, boost morale and secure more routes that were profitable. If Delta is to survive we need to re-take DFW.

~~~^~~~ said:

Fins, do you see the irony in ALPA having to argue that subsidiaries should be merged. I hope SKYW management doesn't throw ALPA's arguments in the 2000 PID petition back in ALPA's face.

Will 4500 pilots get us our own EVP in Herndon? This could be fun!

Joe

JoeMerchant said:
Will 4500 pilots get us our own EVP in Herndon? This could be fun!

You have to wonder at what point a regional will make ALPA stand up and pay attention. I have to think that 4500 pilots just might do it.

I hope for the ASA pilots' stakes that they don't drop the ball on this one. Getting the lists merged and preventing future whipsaw should be priority #1 at ALPA.

Halo_RJdriver said:
SkyWest, ASA, and the DCI need to retake DFW along with a base and resume flying. This would make both pilot groups happy, boost morale and secure more routes that were profitable. If Delta is to survive we need to re-take DFW.

There is a contender for one of the Top Ten Posts of the Week. Let me guess, you commute from Dallas? Dallas was never profitable. Let American have it.

Are you really naive enough to think that ANY would actually open a base to improve morale?

Please extinguish the crack pipe...

Latest resources

Back