• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Standard Vs Glass

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think everyone should learn to fly in an olive green 1973 C-172 with 12,000 hours and TKM radios. Bonus if it still has original Cessna ADF. Man up.

If you learn in a new glass airplane you will look back and feel you missed something.

Agreed. My school is getting G1000 C172s next summer, and all I can think is how ridiculous it'll be trying to teach someone pilotage and basic "look outside the damn cockpit" skills. We need to invent MFD sized instrument covers. :)

I think everyone should learn to fly in an olive green 1973 C-172 with 12,000 hours and TKM radios. Bonus if it still has original Cessna ADF. Man up.

If you learn in a new glass airplane you will look back and feel you missed something.

You just perfectly described the plane I took my private ride in.

svcta - agree 100%. When i fly with my primary student in a SR20 i usually turn off the PFD for half of the manuvers. really screws em up but they need the practice.

6 pack it for all your training, use microsoft flight sim for glass exposure. Every airline has training on their aircraft built in that is specific to its avionics. Your not going to get any help from any of the current single engine flight displays. You never unlearn how to fly a six pack, but you're going to have to unlearn the G1000. Total waste of time and money.

sdfghj

Go to the school that has the better reputation and the better maintained aircraft.

I totally agree here, can't go wrong with that decision. I also think it comes down to what the students goals are. If a student wants to buy an analog gauge airplane after getting their certificate, it makes no sense to train glass. If you rent ac at another school that has only analog ac, well it wouldn't be too smart to train glass as well. Just like when VOR's were new, people were reluctant towards change.

I totally agree here, can't go wrong with that decision. I also think it comes down to what the students goals are. If a student wants to buy an analog gauge airplane after getting their certificate, it makes no sense to train glass. If you rent ac at another school that has only analog ac, well it wouldn't be too smart to train glass as well. Just like when VOR's were new, people were reluctant towards change.

If the student's goals are to learn to be an airman then he/she needs to learn how to get by without all that "gee-whiz" sh!t. This is not reluctance to change, I love technology, but not being able to get lost as a student is not good for training. All of this "glass" stuff is designed to prevent navigational uncertainty and imperfections in instrumentation and interfacing with a human. But that's precisely where students begin to learn what limitations are all about. Not really knowing where you are for a second, wondering if a gauge is off a little or broken all together and having to cross check it, the list goes on and on.

Think about how you would have felt if during your training you would never have had that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach. Those are the moments that scared you "straight". All of these guys and gals falling from the sky in their new, fancy airplanes have all been in over their heads as far as I can see. Honestly, it hasn't been a bunch of 1976 C-172s crashing lately, has it?

asdfgh

From the beginning we set the gps on the ground direct for the home airport. That way the airplane becomes a "kite" with a imaginary string attatched to the airport. So if the student may become uncertain as to where they are simply direct enter enter and follow the pink line to the airport.

From the beginning we set the gps on the ground direct for the home airport. That way the airplane becomes a "kite" with a imaginary string attatched to the airport. So if the student may become uncertain as to where they are simply direct enter enter and follow the pink line to the airport.

Thanks for making my point. Have you ever let a student get so lost that they had to land and ask for phone book or local paper to get a city name?

I don't think you grasp the point I'm trying to make.

sdfa

Nope but i was at corona KAJO earlier in the year and this 152 pulled up and asked where he was; apparently he was supposed to go to Hemet airport. (his instructor was pissed when he was flown up in an archer from San Diego area to fly back with him).

Latest resources

Back